Argument: Fosgate 1/0 vs. Knukonceptz Kollosus

I am not looking to purchase either, I just need an argument as to why Knu wire being tinned does not make it any worse of a wire than Rockford Fosgate 1/0. I work at a shop, and everyone here is a Rockford nuthugger, having never heard of DC Audio, Sundown Audio, Audioque, Knukonceptz, XS Power, Mechman, Singer, DC Power, Second Skin, etc. I brought in a sample of Knu Flex and all I got was: Ahhhh, but it's tinned. Rockford still has the best wire available today. Since it is tinned, the strand count is irrelevant.

I typically just shrug half of the "Rockford has da best..... errrthang" things off, but the wire is just bugging me...

P.S. I have two runs of Fosgate 1/0 in my personal vehicle as I get accomodation pricing through the shop making it cheaper than Knu, so it is not like I have anything against them, just would like a little bit more education in this area. Obviously it works, and it works great at that.

Thanks guys.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I understand, tin makes it better. The tinning is so thin as to be irrelevant, and prevents corrosion. Now is one better than the other? I don't know, this is just my two cents.

2015 Subaru Outback. That is all, I refuse to touch it.

I think the only one that will ever notice is the electron...

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

I think the only one that will ever notice is the electron...

I see what you were trying to do there...

But that does not help my physical argument with my fellow employees and boss sir. lol

Whats the strand count on both. Tinned doesnt do anything but prevent corrosion. Tinned wire is beter suited for marine use etc...and should last longer in a enviroment that would cause copper to corrode.

I remember reading alot on some home audio threads and with testing someone showed there is no difference as far as conductivity/resistance/etc....but tinned wire prevents corrosion. Corrosion will only affect the wire if its at the termination/connection to you amp or ring terminal etc.

Whichever wire has higher stand count/biggest size(without jacket) is better.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Fosgate: 4704

Knu: 5145

By that standard, knu

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Obviously Knu is cheaper to the average consumer, and obviously Knu has a higher strand count, so why would it not be considered a better wire?

I am just trying to make sure 100% that it is just their erection for Rockford, and not mainly his 18 years of experience saying that it being tinned deems it less effective for a dry, car stereo application. Assuming that neither vehicle will be playing in flood waters.

The only valid points, well, that I would consider valid is that pure copper is a better conductor than tin, so if the tin content is high enough, it may leave less copper than what is present in the Rockford wire.

I seem to remember from the thread that directly compared wire that Knu was also larger after being stripped. Both OFC but the knu has higher strand count, larger, tinned. Knu's the winner in my book. BUT...would I hesitate to use the Rockford wire.....No i would use that if I got a deal on it..and I wouldnt look back.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Obviously Knu is cheaper to the average consumer, and obviously Knu has a higher strand count, so why would it not be considered a better wire?

I am just trying to make sure 100% that it is just their erection for Rockford, and not mainly his 18 years of experience saying that it being tinned deems it less effective for a dry, car stereo application. Assuming that neither vehicle will be playing in flood waters.

The only valid points, well, that I would consider valid is that pure copper is a better conductor than tin, so if the tin content is high enough, it may leave less copper than what is present in the Rockford wire.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that when they "tin" the copper wire they use the electroplating method..... The amount of other metal present on the surface of the wire is so small i would consider it negligable.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Archived