Mechman Alternators

NEW MECHMAN 370 AMP SMD ALTERNATOR LOAD TEST...

Apparently they had to discontinue the SMD version alts you have because a supplier does not produce the same type of metal that they used in that version. I forget exactly what the metal went to. Therefore they are making the new SMD version. Which looks very badass! I'm just worried about getting a pair of 340s and wishing I had just upgraded to the 370s.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

• 1 month later...

OK here's the deal

2011 SMD alts specs:

DR44G based 3 phase large case GM internals

single solid copper rectifier w/ 8 press fit high amp diodes

pretty good stuff

2012 SMD alt specs:

6 phase round wire stator

twin radial finned rectifiers w/ 16 surface mount diodes

Really good stuff

2013 SMD alt specs:

6 phase hairpin stator

twin rectifier plates with 12 press fit high amp diodes

Gucci stuff

Hope that explains it. I don't believe that we have ever gotten back an overheated SMD unit. (any version) While it is never a good idea to run ANY alternator balls out all day long, these units will take a fair amount of abuse, and still last 100,000 miles under normal use.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

OK here's the deal

2011 SMD alts specs:

DR44G based 3 phase large case GM internals

single solid copper rectifier w/ 8 press fit high amp diodes

pretty good stuff

2012 SMD alt specs:

6 phase round wire stator

twin radial finned rectifiers w/ 16 surface mount diodes

Really good stuff

2013 SMD alt specs:

6 phase hairpin stator

twin rectifier plates with 12 press fit high amp diodes

Gucci stuff

Hope that explains it. I don't believe that we have ever gotten back an overheated SMD unit. (any version) While it is never a good idea to run ANY alternator balls out all day long, these units will take a fair amount of abuse, and still last 100,000 miles under normal use.

I love mine!! The thing is a beast, keeps my voltage where it needs to be!!!

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

Just curious here, but if you can get 370a out of these little GM cases what do you think you could achieve with a Leece 320a?

[

Just curious here, but if you can get 370a out of these little GM cases what do you think you could achieve with a Leece 320a?

Comparing one of the new 6 phase hairpin SMD 370's to a Leece Neville, is like comparing a Ferrari to a 57 Chevy. LN units use 60 year old technology, and have virtually no airflow to cool the stator or rectifier, which is why they fail all the time when pushed past 300 amps or so. Also, even though they are HUGE (too big to fit on most passenger vehicles) they are not capable of anywhere near the idle output of the SMD 370. Leece Nevilles are pretty much boat anchors. You can't touch 6 phase hairpin stator technology in terms of performance, efficiency, or durability.

[

Comparing one of the new 6 phase hairpin SMD 370's to a Leece Neville, is like comparing a Ferrari to a 57 Chevy. LN units use 60 year old technology, and have virtually no airflow to cool the stator or rectifier, which is why they fail all the time when pushed past 300 amps or so. Also, even though they are HUGE (too big to fit on most passenger vehicles) they are not capable of anywhere near the idle output of the SMD 370. Leece Nevilles are pretty much boat anchors. You can't touch 6 phase hairpin stator technology in terms of performance, efficiency, or durability.

That's funny, you won't see any small cases on any vehicles that require real amperage output....

Edited by Phototini_xB

mine does maximum output at 900 rpm. 350 amp mechman. changed the pulley

Edited by Lowlife15

Nissan Frontier

10" Cadence Midbass

8" Cadnece Midrange

Bullet tweets

2 Re audio Sxx 15 Subs

Mechman 270a

2 Re XT4000deV3 mono 1600 rms

1 Re XT400deV3 Bridged 350x2

2 Cadence 175.4 Bridged 350x2

Audiomaxx and Stinger 0,4,8,12 awg wires

Dynamat sound deadeners

My Build Log: http://www.stevemead...__+1999 +nissan

[

That's funny, you won't see any small cases on any vehicles that require real amperage output....

Actually, you do. Many Sterling, Ford and Dodge 4500 and larger Medium Duty Trucks, as well as many other heavy duty trucks all use the same 6 phase hairpin internals. Almost all Late model ambulance package's come with this technology as well. I suspect you will see this technology replace the LN units that you see on heavy duty trucks.

The only reason you see Leece Neviles on anything, is because most heavy truck outfitters are ignorant, and don't want to change away from what they already know how to work on, and stock parts to repair. LN's have very little cooling, and a tiny rectifier in comparison to the size of the unit. Also, being three phase, they are wasting a lot of energy in the form of heat.

The only advantage that I could see to an LN, is that they have really long brushes for extremely long wear life. (even though the rectifier is usually what fails first) Brushes for our 6 phase units are $7, and take 5 minutes to replace, without even having to take apart the alternator.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1