Sonic Electronix

Matching/Mismatching Amplifiers?

A matching set of speaker and subwoofer amplifiers always looks good, but is there any real benefit to purchasing amplifiers that are in the same brand and series? Or does it simply have to do with aesthetics?

We all wanna know. ^_^

468x60-forum-banner.jpg
2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 5.3L w/ Brutus 1700W, NVX 4 Chan, L7 Subs, Sony Deck & Alpine Speaks
Sonic Electronix Articles by Harry Donihue --> CLICK

I don't mind mismatching speakers, and subs but I like the looks of matching amps.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Seems as though today most companies will either have a great speaker and poor amps or poor speakers and great amps, i tend to go with old school amps as they are built with quality parts and designs that have now stood the test of time and focus now on quality speakers as it has cost quite a bit of money trying other brands that fail for one reason or another.

It's really tough navigating the sea of garbage forced upon us from china but that is sadly how it has become for us all in this day and age, either you are willing to shell out the money on some good quality gear or you have to buy and try a number of companies products to find something that suits your taste and budget.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I like having matching amps, as it makes the install look that much cleaner. I've had mismatched amps in the past but it didn't bother me because they were both behind the seat of a truck I had at the time.

468x60-forum-banner.jpg
2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 5.3L w/ Brutus 1700W, NVX 4 Chan, L7 Subs, Sony Deck & Alpine Speaks
Sonic Electronix Articles by Harry Donihue --> CLICK

There is a huge diffrence between getting the job done right and just looking good.

My tools are a mix between Hitachi, Dewalt and Makita.

If i could afford it and they made all the tools I would use then I would go straight Snap On!

Likewise in audio, one Mfg. doesnt make everything I'm happy with. And the ones that do I'm pretty sure I'm not willing to pay for

Hope that made sense, its been a long day for me!

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I think it really depends on what your system expectations are. If you are looking for a basic "upgraded" sound, but want it to look good, then matching gear is important. If you are looking for an all out sound, then you want to cherry pick what is going to work the best.

Sadly, most main brand, full line card companies have lost focus on making a very nice well rounded product line. Some guys have very nice decks, and so so on the amps and speakers. Others do very well in amps and can't build a sub to handle the power their amps make.

It sucks, but I can't blame them. The consumer for the most part ( not us fanatics on stereo forums ) are just out to get a little better then what they had. Not too many of the retail market care about quality like customers years past. The manufactures are left fighting the battle to zero. All the while leaving their retail partners out in the cold to make little money to have qualified experts in their stores to sell quality products.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

i like the best amp for the job. if you are good you can make mismatching look good too

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build