Songs for tuning

Just curious cause everybody tunes in differant ways. I use a certain 3 songs everytime i tune my amps. Just curious if anybody else does it like this? And what songs do you use?

The three songs i use is

Always with me always with you - joe satriani

baseline - manrtonix

Rock of ages - def leppard

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime you tune your amps, why are you tuning it more than once? You are tuning the gain by ear with music? I sure hope not

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

-10db 40hz test tone that came with my dd-1

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5

No ia meen mythe amp. I use those 3 songs to create a happy median. If.i.can get the highs and lows to sound good.on those songs then im good.to go

Lolwut

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

You are tuning the gain by ear with music? I sure hope not

how do you think the other 95% of the world do it,

only people on this forum no off the dd1,

and most cant justify its purchase, for 1 off build every now and then, mine was just on $380us shipped to aust, and i only no of 1 other within 200miles, as for shop none i have spoke to have a ddm, and only 2 in my state have a oscilloscope, and idd say it pretty close to the same results in other countries outside the us.

half the shop install ive re-tuned after there install, just turn the all the gains on the amp to around 1/4 and leave it there, then tell them they have to come back to get it tuned when the sub/ speaker are broken in, and it will be an additional charge

Edited by john253a

If you are going to tune by ear then you use a 45hz tone, music is dynamic which is why you shouldn't use it to set a gain.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

if you must tune by ear use music that you are familiar with and use more than just a 2or3 songs . and double and triple check your settings in the next few days to come . i bought an o-scope for setting amp gains but as time goes on i am wanting the dd1 and the newest tool coming from smd . i ran into the same thing none of the shops around where i live have an o-scope , dd1 , termlab or none of them tools .

If you are going to tune by ear then you use a 45hz tone, music is dynamic which is why you shouldn't use it to set a gain.

Lol whut. Unless you drive around playing test tones then you should absolutely tune it with music...people were setting gains for decades with their ears. Did they all do it wrong?

Every song is different. That means if you your amp to a -5db test tone and you play a song that's recorded at -2db...you get distortion. It also means that if you play a song that's recorded at -7db then you're not as loud as you could be.

But guess what? What if some parts of a song are louder than others? Oh shit right? No. You turn the system down if the driver seems stressed. There is no magic, perfect way to set a gain. Not even a DD-1.