Second Skin Audio

Ported box design for 2 Alpine typr R 12 (1242d)

logspace

I'm wanting to build a ported box for my 2 alpine type r 12. I would like to tune to around 29 hz or lower, because I want a flatter response. Not looking for SPL at all, I've just heard these subs perform better in ported enclosures. I don't know how to use the tuning calculator. Every once in a while, I will listen to a chopped and screwed song, which is another reason why I want to tune so low. but I also listen to metal and electronic music, so I sometimes think sealed might be better for me. Any advice or designs are appreciated. Thanks

Here is a suggestion, port centerline length = 25" sub displacement = 0.071 cubic feet:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 33 Hz

Vb = 4 ft^3

External Height = 14 in

External Width = 37 in

External Depth = 21.75 in

Port Width = 4 1/4 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2x Front = 16 3/8 x 12 1/2

Back = 37 x 12 1/2

Left & Right Sides: 20 1/4 x 12 1/2

Top & Bottom = 37 x 21 3/4

Shared Port Internal Assembly Parts:

2 x Front to Back = 18 1/8 x 12 1/2

2 x Extension = 1 3/16 x 12 1/2

Assembly guide (generic dimensions):

T-PFSFSingle.jpg

29Hz is really low and not necessary IMO but there you go, it wont be very loud but will hit the lows.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to do something similar, but maybe not QUITE as low as 29. Don't suppose you could whip up a 33hz version? What's the net volume of this box?

Changed to 33Hz 2 cubes per sub, the net volume is listed below the tuning frequency and denoted as Vb.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

so i constructed this box and was about to put the port in when i noticed that the opening of the port was 5 3/16 inches instead of being at 4 1/4. what are my options so that the tuning will still be at 33 hz ?

I can issue a cut sheet list for a 5 3/16" port tuned to 33Hz or you can redo some of the parts so that the port width is 4 1/4", the first option has the disadvantage that the larger port would take away some of the net volume of the box.

Archived