Second Skin Audio

Carbon Fiber Box, NEW AMP RACK PICS ADDED, Page 13!!!

tuned in :D

-2000 chevy tahoe 5.3 liter v8

-two DC audio level 3 15 inch subwoofers

-2 pairs of infinity kappa 60.9cs components

-rockford fosgate t1500.1bd for subs

-rockford fosgate t400.4bd for mids and highs

-alpine deck

-big 3 upgrade 0 gauge power cable

-optima yellow top battery

-custom made subwoofer enclosure 6 cubic feet tuned at 35hz

Well, I wasn't sure if the duct tape would hold vacuum and it didn't. I could only manage 10 pounds without getting a leak, so I ended up wet setting everything. Not like having extra resin in the carbon is gonna hurt anything, it not like it's a race car part where every ounce counts. The good news is.....wet setting doesn't use as much other materials as vacuum bagging and it also doesn't take quite as long. You just need to be a little more careful because there is less room for error in the finished product.

Here's today's progress......tomorrow I should be able to get the rest of the inside of the box done or nearly done.

Pre cut pieces of carbon fabric ready to be applied. I used 4 layers.....

subbox2001-1.jpg

First, I wetted the MDF with resin and let it soak in until it wasn't tacky anymore....

subbox2002-1.jpg

Resin and carbon applied, just before the failed bagging attempt.....

subbox2003-1.jpg

subbox2004-1.jpg

After removing the bag and trying to remove some of the imperfections and also apply one last layer of resin. Things would have looked nicer if I had just planned to wet set from the beginning......

subbox2005.jpg

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

OK, had some time during the day today to get more work done on the box. Got the rest of the interior laid with the exception of the two side plates and obviously the bottom plate which has yet to be installed. I put down several layers of carbon at each corner and wood joint and then applied all of the flat pieces . Last, I applied a nice smooth coat of resin on top for a glossy finish that no one will ever see. Now I'm thinking about cutting a plexi window into the box so my handywork can be shown off. Should have probably done that from the start. Oh well, lesson learned. I've also learned that it would have been significantly easier if I had started by covering the speaker holes first. Oh well, I never claimed to be an expert at this shit.

I'm going to let the epoxy set up a few hours and the turn the box on its side this evening and get one of the interior side walls done. Then tomorrow morning I can do the other interior side wall and tomorrow night slap the bottom plate on and seal with caulk. Then friday I should be able to carbon the last of the inside. I'm really enjoying this project so far and hope to make more boxes in the future with what I've learned. The only thing that sucks is that by the time this box is done, I will have used about $1000 worth of CF and maybe $200-$300 worth of resin. And that figure might be a tad bit low.

The rest of the interior walls epoxied.....

subbox4001.jpg

CF applied and glossy coat added.....

subbox4002.jpg

Check out how odd the speaker cutouts look. Definitely gonna do it differently on the topside and on the next box......

subbox4003.jpg

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

OK, had some time during the day today to get more work done on the box. Got the rest of the interior laid with the exception of the two side plates and obviously the bottom plate which has yet to be installed. I put down several layers of carbon at each corner and wood joint and then applied all of the flat pieces . Last, I applied a nice smooth coat of resin on top for a glossy finish that no one will ever see. Now I'm thinking about cutting a plexi window into the box so my handywork can be shown off. Should have probably done that from the start. Oh well, lesson learned. I've also learned that it would have been significantly easier if I had started by covering the speaker holes first. Oh well, I never claimed to be an expert at this shit.

I'm going to let the epoxy set up a few hours and the turn the box on its side this evening and get one of the interior side walls done. Then tomorrow morning I can do the other interior side wall and tomorrow night slap the bottom plate on and seal with caulk. Then friday I should be able to carbon the last of the inside. I'm really enjoying this project so far and hope to make more boxes in the future with what I've learned. The only thing that sucks is that by the time this box is done, I will have used about $1000 worth of CF and maybe $200-$300 worth of resin. And that figure might be a tad bit low.

The rest of the interior walls epoxied.....

subbox4001.jpg

CF applied and glossy coat added.....

subbox4002.jpg

Check out how odd the speaker cutouts look. Definitely gonna do it differently on the topside and on the next box......

subbox4003.jpg

For the sub cutouts, could you leave the baffle uncut layer the cf on both sides then use a router after the resin hardens to get perfect circles?

That would be one way to do it, but I would really rather cut the holes first, then coat only the cutout, then layer the flat pieces around it. That way ALL wood is covered in CF. cutting the sub holes after applying all CF wouldn't allow that area to be covered. I'll do it from the topside when the interior is finished.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

Ok fellas, time for my daily box report for those of you who are still following. I know my progress is slow, but this carbon fiber stuff takes time, lots of time. And I really only have a few hours in the evening each night to work on it.

So, today I managed to finish all of the interior carbon that could be done before installing the bottom plate. Then I installed the bottom plate and routered all outside corners round. Next, I sanded the exterior, added caulk inside and then a heavy layer of resin on the floor of the box. Tomorrow I will lay the carbon on all bottom joints and then lay the flat pieces on the floor if I have time before the Seahawks game. Go HAWKS!!

All interior done and the floor base plate ready to go on......

subbox5001.jpg

Box with the bottom plate on.....

subbox5006.jpg

I had to move the box from my sanding room to the finishing room after routering and sanding and both of my rollercarts had stuff on them, so I decided to see if I could carry this behemoth from one room to the other. I could, but just barely. With the 2 18s in it, I am sure I won't be able to carry it. So, after carrying it, I decided to take a time delay pic of me holding it up in the air. It is NOT resting on my work platform in this picture. Remember, this is a 11 cubic foot net ported box made of 1.25" MDF!!! AND IT IS A HEAVY MOFO!!!!

subbox5007.jpg

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

Archived