No Power to Headunit?

I recently purchased a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback VX. The guy had wired the headunits 12v constant directly to the battery because he said he was getting no power to the headunit otherwise. I tried hooking it up the other way and he was right, but i don't want to use a switch like he had for the headunit because if you turn it off you lose all your settings. I was wondering if theres any way to buy the entire wiring harness that goes from the headunit to wherever else it goes, and if i can how would i take out the old one and replace it, if theres any other reason it might not be working let me know that too. Thanks in advance :)

A relay is basically a switch that senses power from something then turns on the circuit to what ever you want. Example, I have hid kc lights. I didn't want to run a switch on the power wire. That would involve extra 15 foot of wire. Instead I tied in to a pre existing switch, ran a single 20 gauge wire to a relay righ beside my battery so it turns the relay on that then give my hids power. Google it it's a very common thing that is used on many vehicles and no you wouldn't have to take your dash apart

1999 GMC Yukon, 6 PSI platform 5 18's, 4th order bandpass by BHE, Taramps,

Simple fix. Your red wire coming from the headunit is the on/off wire. Meaning, that when power goes to it, then your radio cuts on, vice versa. This is the wire that you will need to run to a switch, or to your ignition, or to a fuse...as long as that wire gets power when your car is on. Some peolple use a switch here so that they can run the radio with no keys in the ignition as well. Your yellow wire is your memory wire, aka the constant wire. This wire has to keep power at all times. It is what is responsible for keeping your clock, radio presets, equalizer settings, etc from reseting every time you turn your radio off. This wire will need power constantly, so therefore you will need to run it to a source that has a constant 12v. Such as your car battery, or a fuse that has constant power. Your only other option, is what you referred to...being rewiring the entire radio harness. This isn't a simple task, as you will need to do research to find the stock harness, as well as one to match your radio. You will also need to find a wiring diagram for the stock wires to the car, so that you don't mix up anything when wiring in your stock radio harness. I personally did the last option in my car, because I'm OCD and like everything to be as uniform as possible. That way if someone else has to work on my vehicle, they aren't left guessing at what is what. But like I said, some will say this is easy, but just make sure you take your time, double check everything, and keep everything in order. There is nothing more discouraging than pulling out a headunit and seeing a rat's nest of wire and electrical tape.

EDIT: Had a typo...told you I'm OCD

Edited by BakermanINC

mivtCK.png