Sonic Electronix

Quick question on tuning an amp with the DD-1

Use whatever tone you set with. Here is te thing, you have to watch voltage when playing tones at full tilt. If you set gains with the car off then you set with the amplifier getting around 13v. If you go below that voltage you can clip. But i don't know why you are getting more output with with different tones.

I tuned with the car on floating from 14.3-14.4, I watch my voltage and never try to drop below 13. The reason you get different output is because the tones are different from a -5, -10 and -15 DB.

You are wrong, if you set the amp gain with -5, then played -5 your output should be the same as if you set with -10 and played -10. Are you sure you didn't set with -10 and play the 0db track?

I can't remember exactly. What is the proper way then after setting with a tone track, to figure the correct amount of AC voltage being put out so I can do the equation properly and get a correct figure of wattage.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I'm confused. How do you get 28V with the -5db and then 40V with -10db?

AC Voltage

I understand that lol. I'm pretty sure the distortion point should be at about the same output regardless of which track you use.

There is a tread by tony around here that says you cant get an exact reading for wattage based on timing and phase of voltage and amperage. Basically, Volts X amps will give wattage, and volts/amps will give impedance.

There is a tread by tony around here that says you cant get an exact reading for wattage based on timing and phase of voltage and amperage. Basically, Volts X amps will give wattage, and volts/amps will give impedance.

I was going by the formula, the square root of (watts*resistance), doing the algebra and backtracking. Looks like I need a clamp meter

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

AC Voltage

I understand that lol. I'm pretty sure the distortion point should be at about the same output regardless of which track you use.

Wrong, if you play a -5db track and turn the gain up half way to reach distortion light then put -10 track on you will have to turn the gain up higher to reach the same distortion light. More gain is gonna be more Voltage.

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

AC Voltage

Wrong, if you play a -5db track and turn the gain up half way to reach distortion light then put -10 track on you will have to turn the gain up higher to reach the same distortion light. More gain is gonna be more Voltage.

No, that's not how it works. The -10db track is gonna produce a little more than half the voltage of the -5db. Then you adjust the gain back up to the distortion point, and it'll be back up to about the same voltage.

AC Voltage

No, that's not how it works. The -10db track is gonna produce a little more than half the voltage of the -5db. Then you adjust the gain back up to the distortion point, and it'll be back up to about the same voltage.

That is basically exactly what I just said just throw away the word voltage. He said the track -10 was putting too much power on MUSIC and making his subs bottom out. If he tunes it with the -5 track he will be turning the gain down essentially = less voltage = less power on MUSIC correct? But none of tones matter much once you put music on, if he tunes it to the -10 track and then plays music that has -5db notes in it he will be clipping. This is even more dangerous if your subs cannot handle the power your amp produces.

Edited by SWIFT

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

That is basically exactly what I just said just throw away the word voltage. He said the track -10 was putting too much power on MUSIC and making his subs bottom out. If he tunes it with the -5 track he will be turning the gain down essentially = less voltage = less power on MUSIC correct? But none of tones matter much once you put music on, if he tunes it to the -10 track and then plays music that has -5db notes in it he will be clipping. This is even more dangerous if your subs cannot handle the power your amp produces.

You're right about all that, but he never said anything about music. You can't really accurately test voltage on music. When someone says they get a certain voltage with a certain track, you'd assume they used the same track to test voltage as they did to set it.