Crimp wire end to end + solder??

While I was searching all I could find was Crimping VS Soldering topics.

But I was curious about crimping two wires together with uninsulated butt connector or C-Crimps AND adding a little solder to them.

I'm working on a engine swap and have moved on into the wiring under my dash. I've removed the complete original fuse block and all the wiring from under the dash for headlights, turn signal wiring, radio power wire etc etc. It was a real rats nest from the factory. So I'm shortening really long unnecessary connectors, re-routing everything and adding split loom to clean it up.

The signal wires they used back in 1988 is ridiculous lol. Here is a comparison

To the far left is the copper strands from some original wire, about 14AWG

In the middle is copper strands from 16 AWG TXL grade wire.

To the far right is two pieces of 16 AWG wire twisted together and ready for solder, I cannot get the original wire (to far left) to twist together tight and clean like the wire (to far right)

I've somewhat gotten two wires to twist tightly together for some solder but my damn finders are bleeding lol.

b4b3fn.jpg

I was thinking about using some uninsulated butt connectors to join the two ends together, crimp the connector to the wire and with the little bit of exposed wire from the butt connector to the wires jacket solder the wire to the butt connectors ends. Then heat shrink tube over it.

I've had my good and bad experience with butt connectors staying on and sometimes coming off, figured a little solder on the ends wouldn't hurt? Any objection to this?

Or use C-Crimp and then solder it all together.

Here is how the factory spliced all the grounds together. Then they just covered it in black ducktape. :WTFBubble:

352jaxv.jpg

Solder will make the joint more brittle, but will also help seal the copper from corrosion

IMHO crimp & weatherproof (adhesive lined) heat shrink would be our best bet

If its just small wires, wrap them like the one pictured in white, then solder and cover with shrink wrap.

That's what I've done with some of the smaller gauge wire, I twisted them together and got nice solder joints no problem. But for some reason GM used this wire with thick ass Fking copper strands that are a bitch to get twisted tightly together so I can solder them.

Even on my new truck some of the stranded wire is like 10 thick strands lol. I get the smallest twist I can solder heat wrap and done. it might have a smaller buldge at the joint but its strong as hell.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Even on my new truck some of the stranded wire is like 10 thick strands lol. I get the smallest twist I can solder heat wrap and done. it might have a smaller buldge at the joint but its strong as hell.

lol, I'm getting huge bulges :blush: . Instead of just twisting the two wires together so I could solder I attempted the hook method. I twisted the thick copper strands as tight as I could, used needle nose pliers to bend U's then hooked them together, I then tried to kind of crimp and smash the hooked joint flat and solder and all I got was a huge blob of shit, looked like there was a huge rock got inside my heat shrink tube, the buldge annoyed me so I cut it and tried starting over.

Guess maybe I'm being to picky over my connections.

split both wires in hlaf like 20strand wire split it to two 10 stran groups. twist 1of each wire together than the other...than both and solder. always worked good for me. On real low profile ones a few times I have used holders and just layed one piece on top of the other....I did that only on a RC car and in situations where the joint would have to "thread" through a piece of metal or something.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.