its a sad day :( problem with 4T65E (tranny probs)

well my tranny was slipping for the past week or so got the tranny flushed and filter changed and now i have a hard shift it and isn't always engaged while in drive so i accidently rev it up and it pops it in gear this has happened with in the last 24 hours on my way back home from fargo about 100 miles there and back on the way back my check engine light flashed and went away the fluid is red and i read it could a a pressure control solenoid going bad any ideas i will be taking it in mon.

transmission is a deadly one with 226,xxx miles (4t65-E)

edit* after reading this it sounds exactly like something wrong pressure wise i will see about getting it replace (solenoid)

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

its a chevy. You should expect a tranny issue eventually. been there done that.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

with that many miles on the transmission I'm really surprised the transmission shop even did a flush and filter change. Did that to my ford AOD at 140k miles and I almost had no more friction material left on my clutches. It would drive, but not great. Thought that it would be ok, but weren't sure. That was a expensive mistake. Oh well. Hope all is well with your transmission and it is a simple repair.

formerly known as Blue86f150

its a 4th order just because its tuned in the 40z doesnt mean it wont reach down and jiggle your balls at sub 30 hz frequencies.

Regardless if they were dipped platinum and were stuffed in Beyonce's twat.....way too fucking exspensive

this sux camel dicks

Common problems with those 4t65e's. I've dealt with almost every problem they have in my 01 and 02 Impala, to the point where we gave up on the car and moved onto another platform.

That slip and bang into gear is usually the input apply piston, there is a seal that goes bad and fluid leaks past, Revving it up increases the pressure and it overcomes the leak and applies the piston causing the "bang" into gear.

You could try and replace the various solenoids while you have the side cover off, but that may only be a bandaid fix.

To fix the hard-shift, you can install a shift kit from transgo found here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/4T65E-Transgo-Shift-Kit-/180419368268#ht_767wt_1059

All this is if you are competent in tearing into a trans yourself. If you purchase all these parts yourself you might be able to save some money on the parts end of the deal and just end up paying labor at a transmission shop.

A flush on a 4t65e is usually the end of it's life. These transmissions are known as "slushboxes" or made of glass. Even maintained every 25k miles these transmissions shit the bed.

Like I said, doing all this work may hold you over for a few months if it corrects any of the issues you're having now, or it could do nothing at all. If I were you I would find a reputable transmission shop and have it rebuilt. It sure would suck when you dump $200 in parts and $400 in labor into a transmission with 200k on it just to have the torque converter or 4th gear go out a few thousand miles later. I would get a rebuild and a 3yr/36k warranty. I believe you can go through GM for around $1800 and get it replaced along with a 3/36 through them.

Let me know if you need any help if you do go the route of throwing money into this ticking time bomb. Not trying to be a dick but thats what you're working with now.

First System

2002 Impala LS 3.8L V6, 128,365k miles.

Alternator: DC Power 190Amp H/O Alternator

Headunit: Kenwood KDC-BT945U.

Speakers: MBQuart 6.5" Comps, 6x9 3-way.

Amplifer: Eclipse 3322 on front 6.5 components, and a Infinity Kappa One @ 2ohm- 800w

Subwoofers: 2 REAudio SRX12D2 wired to 2 ohm.

Box: 3.1cuft box tuned to 33hz. sealed off to cabin

Big 3- done with all Knukonceptz KCA 0 gauge.

Don't drop below 14.1v at full tilt. :)

it was actually shifting fine today wtf!? o well i am gonna trade it in now for a winter vehicle gmc yukon

skar sk2500.1
alpine HU
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

All automatic transmissions will eventually fail and need to be rebuilt/replaced.

You messed up by replacing the tranny fluid. A tranny with that many miles, having probably gone a long time without a fluid change, should not get a fluid change.

The reason why is that the ATF in the transmission usually wears away the friction material on the clutches. Changing out this fluid also drains out the friction materials with it. This could explain why youre tranny will start slipping.

Beware, the tranny will mislead you into thinking its running fine just before it craps out on you!

Good luck, next time buy manual ;)

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

All automatic transmissions will eventually fail and need to be rebuilt/replaced.

You messed up by replacing the tranny fluid. A tranny with that many miles, having probably gone a long time without a fluid change, should not get a fluid change.

The reason why is that the ATF in the transmission usually wears away the friction material on the clutches. Changing out this fluid also drains out the friction materials with it. This could explain why youre tranny will start slipping.

Beware, the tranny will mislead you into thinking its running fine just before it craps out on you!

Good luck, next time buy manual wink.gif

i traded it off already for lower miled yukon

skar sk2500.1
alpine HU
2 x-15 sundowns

Archived