Measuring power by clamping - SMD D'Amore Engineering AD-1 (video)

Please correct me if I'm wrong Mr. D'Amore as these are questions and not statements based on my interpretation of your video and information.

1) The video shows the inaccuracies that can be obtained while testing a REACTICE load with the specific equipment listed only?

2) Based off what I saw is the Phase Angle Issue something encountered only when testing REACTIVE loads only and not an issue when testing a specific static load?

3) Is it possible to obtain measurements as accurate as the AD-1 using a True RMS VOM, A DD-1 or O-Scope to verify clipping, and a quality Clamp Meter? As the AD-1 I would imagine doesn’t have to contend with Phase Angle issues due to the load resistor bank inside it, or is there in fact circuitry inside it that does make these calculations?

TIA for any info you can provide.

Respectfully,

RR

Edited by ROLEXrifleman

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Learned this kinda stuff my freshman year in EE. Good to see it surface here for the masses to learn from as well.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Please correct me if I'm wrong Mr. D'Amore as these are questions and not statements based on my interpretation of your video and information.

1) The video shows the inaccuracies that can be obtained while testing a REACTICE load with the specific equipment listed only?

2) Based off what I saw is the Phase Angle Issue something encountered only when testing REACTIVE loads only and not an issue when testing a specific static load?

3) Is it possible to obtain measurements as accurate as the AD-1 using a True RMS VOM, A DD-1 or O-Scope to verify clipping, and a quality Clamp Meter? As the AD-1 I would imagine doesn’t have to contend with Phase Angle issues due to the load resistor bank inside it, or is there in fact circuitry inside it that does make these calculations?

TIA for any info you can provide.

Respectfully,

RR

Rolex, I've questioned Tony before about the wirewound resistors / o'scope-TrueRMS volt meter / DD-1 method and although I don't want to speak for him, he's mentioned this is an accurate way to obtain continuous power. This is essentially what the AD-1 does, but the ability to adjust the ohm load with a simple press of a button is WAY nice! I'm ready to beta test for you guys...send an AD-1 my way!!!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

10-4 Big D.

You know I'm the same road as you with the testing. I figured the AD-1 is a combination of all these tools in a refined package. I'm not going to get caught up too much in some of the other details. As long as I'm being accurate I'm good to go.

BTW, ready to let the original Fred Sanford go?

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Like I've said,.. We are ALL privileged to be seeing this "movement" that a few (sm,td,rw, tc, others) are doing, and working hard for.... Right now, and right in our face...

Awesome time.....

The game is changing.......

Bout time.....

Mis-information has been part of the Consumer Electronics industry since the very beginning. With the advent of the 'net, it can be spread at a viral pace. Many of our SMD Partners and members have gone out of their way to provide good information. As one industry friend used to say often, "the answers are out there for those that seek them." Very true.

Believe it or not, you guys (SMD Members) can play an equally big role in turning the tide. How? Simple - via Email, via Facebook, via Twitter, sharing with members of other forums, etc. SMD has and always will be a melting pot for some of the best minds car stereo has to offer. Encourage your friends to join so that they too can take advantage of that.

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Hell effin YES TC.

I might be called a "nut-hugger", but the fact is, I can't believe the amount of brain that is here for ANYONE to pick. It's UN-godly.

I just feel very privileged to be able to even see it, let alone, make comments, and be side by side with the best.

And, (Again, I'm sure I'll get labeld here) I also would strongly encourage people to become a "supporting" member, and make a contribution. Shit, I feel like I'm robbing this place.

Also, I'd like to thank all involved. You all are the best of the best at what you do.

Kyle

Edited by KyLar96

Hell effin YES TC.

I might be called a "nut-hugger", but the fact is, I can't believe the amount of brain that is here for ANYONE to pick. It's UN-godly.

I just feel very privileged to be able to even see it, let alone, make comments, and be side by side with the best.

And, (Again, I'm sure I'll get labeld here) I also would strongly encourage people to become a "supporting" member, and make a contribution. Shit, I feel like I'm robbing this place.

Also, I'd like to thank all involved. You all are the best of the best at what you do.

Kyle

Can't agree anymore! I am really happy to see this. Because I was planning to make a very long trip to michigan just to use someones Clamp meter and TL, looks like I am going to just stay local for a TL and wait till I can truely get a real test on my amplifiers.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

• 2 months later...

Great info here! I was just about to pick up a clamp meter. Thanks for the warning.

Audio Build

Ride: 2002 Chevy Blazer 4 door

Head Unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Subs: 4 DC Level 3 15's in a 4th order wall designed by Trent Choate and Jeff Smith

Subs Amp: AQ 3500.1 at wired at .5 (soon to be 2)

Mids/Highs Amp: Skar 85.4

Mids/Highs: Skar components

Electrical: Mechman 270 amp alt, 2 runs of Knu 0 gauge, XS Power d3400, 2 Deka Group 9a31

Build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167658-indianabasshead-blazer-dc-audio-4th-order-wall-build/

Perfomance Build

2003 Nissan 350z

Greddy Twin Turbo, 3" Test pipes with Borla high-flow cats, Crawford Performance Plenum, Greddy E-manage Ultimate ECU

Exedy Racing Clutch, Built Motor by Racing Innovations

Greddy Over-fender aero kit (1 of 20 ever made), 19" Racing Hart r5 pro wheels
466rwhp

Bike

2008 Midnight Blue Kawasaki ZX-14

Stretched 8" and lowered, Brocks Sidewinder exhaust, Power Commander 5