How the DD-1 Saved a customer

So since DC is a build house and not a retailer its really odd for someone to knock on the office doors but last week thats what happened, The man on the other side said he drove 4 hours because of a woofer issue that the 2 different shops he had working on it could not figure out. They both had blamed the subwoofer for it not being able to handle 2000 watts. He explained to me he had spent a lot of money on our product and was really unhappy with it. its rms is at 2200 so he would expect it to take the 2000 watt amp he had it hooked up to. He explained he had purchased a DC XLm2 12 from a retailer and it was getting stinky quick and could not keep up with the rest of the system. He explained the system sounds great at low volume but there is a point on the volume knob that the bass stops getting louder but the rest of the system keeps going. I knew right then what was going on and said OK lets go take a look at it.

His bass section of his system was a 4 volt headunit that feeds an EQ with high voltage outputs that then goes into a 2000 watt amp thats wired at 1 ohm. Should be an easy task for a XLm2 right. Just glancing at the settings It appeared it was probably all too high. I had just the tool to show him what was going on. I could have explained it to him but this guy didnt really know me so I could be some guy working at a shop just pointing the finger in a different direction.

The better way is to get out the DD-1 and explain how it works, So thats what I did, I explained what a gain on an amp is for and how deck/eq voltage works. How over gaining an amp will cause an amp to run out of useable power before you run out of volume knob and how it will produce dirty power and how that effects the operating temp of the sub.

He tells me he normally runs his deck at volume 22. So we hook up the DD-1 to the outputs of the headunit and its well within his clean useable volume clicks. What was good about doing this first is now he understands the way the DD-1 works, He was able to see how about 95% of the deck volume was all clean and how only the last couple clicks were dirty and lit it up.

When we got to the outputs of the amp we were able to get to volume 12 when the distortion light came on, because he understood the way it works from the previous settings we went through, it clicked right away what the issue was for the guy. I think he was just relieved to understand car audio better and to also know exactly where the problem was, not just guess work and finger pointing. So basically we got a guy that rolls at volume 22 but gets dirty at 12. We adjusted his settings on the 2000 watt amp so that he could get the most clean power out of it at the volume he listins to. No more subwoofer heat issues and the sub now continues to get louder in a linear way with the rest of the system all the way up through the volume clicks, no more leveling off early and smelling.

Huge thanks to steve, awesome job on the tool. from a manufacturers stand point, if that customer had not come out and got dialed in with the DD-1 he would just be a guy out there unhappy with his system, that includes being unhappy with us. But because we were able to tune his system and show him where the real issue was I think we have made a happy DC customer for life.

• Like (+1 Rep) 24

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

i wish someone would give me a free tune with the DD-1.... ;(

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Think that shows that knowledge is the best along with having the right equipment. How the 2 shops couldn't figure it out, says pretty inexperienced (at least with that part of car audio) or just doesn't have the right tools. In any case, that's actually a great story. If only people were always like that.

Sheena = pedobear

Great customer service Rusty!

:good:

I'm anxious to get my XLm2's rolling soon!

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Think that shows that knowledge is the best along with having the right equipment. How the 2 shops couldn't figure it out, says pretty inexperienced (at least with that part of car audio) or just doesn't have the right tools. In any case, that's actually a great story. If only people were always like that.

^agree

I'd go back to those shops and raise some hell!

Gain settings should be the first thing they check, if they knew what they were doing...

I'm guessing they were pretty quick to try and sell him something else?

Edited by Wicks

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png