Sonic Electronix

This is my first post to the forum, so please forgive any mistakes i might inevitably make :)

I have some questions about a build i am planning for this summer;

I am planning on putting 2 15's in my 1997 Toyota Camry, i want to have the box sealed from the trunk to minimize pressure loss to the trunk. The problem/question i have is this, The stock trunk access hole (if you fold the seats down) is about 26" wide and 12"tall, the rest is covered in sheet metal (39"wide, 19"tall) This sheet metal has three braces in it, one brace going from left to right along the top, and is about a 3-4" hollow square beam, and the other two are on either side of the cutout, helping brace the top beam to the base of the seats. The problem is that if i install the box where i want, the metal and braces will cover nearly half of my box and block over half of my subs. I want to cut out most of this metal so that the subs can breath, but i do not want to compromise the safety of any passengers.

My logic so far is that the box (double baffled 3/4"MDF, so 1.5" of MDF) will be stronger and more rigid than 1/8" of sheet metal bracing.

A few people i asked opinions on argue that the section that i would be cutting out would compromise safety, since these zones are built to absorb a side impact. My rebuttal is that this brace is behind the rear seats, and therefor is not a crumple zone (because the rear seat shouldn't crumple around the passengers, that could injure them.) Also, even if said section is designed to crumple in the case of an impact, the box is going to be their anyway, and would stop any of the crumpling.

I am quite the newbie when it comes to this caliber of build (Simply sliding a box into a trunk is easy, but i have not ever done a build like this before) and i would like the input from some people with more experience/knowledge than me.

What are some other pros/cons to cutting out this metal?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, i truly appreciate it :)

Since your car is a unibody and has no frame udnder it, those braces are structural. You may compromise the rigidity of your car by cutting them out and could end up with body flex when turning and hitting bumps. I would recommend against cutting them. The mdf isn't going to hold up to the stress over time.

Cut it enough for the box to fit and add more bracing to the remaining metal

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

Are the braces welded or bolted in?

I have a civic Si with the braces you are talking about... they are bolted in. In some of the standard civics, they don't even have the braces.

If you have to cut, due to the fact that the braces are welded, it might compromise safety... But it'll definitely compromise resale value.

With the amount of trunk space the camrys have, I'd look into going 4th order built in the trunk. No cutting. Might not be as loud, but it'll be easier to seal off and no cutting.

Are the braces welded or bolted in?

fb03a504.jpg

The braces are welded in, as far as i can tell anyway, no bolts in sight.

As far as resale, the Camry has 249 thousand miles on it, it wont have much for resale when im done driving it, but that is a valid point! XD

Thank you for your input :)

I think i might seriously consider the 4th order idea, but i have till summer to plan and revise, so who knows what the final build will be XD

Archived