DC Sound Lab

Are my new XL M2's suppose to smell like nail polish?

I tuned it to about 1k watt per sub with a 0db test tone until I get a better alt. The voltage is pretty much above 12.5V

The only issue I'm having so far is that they smell like nail polish. Is this normal?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

yes, usually brand new subs smell a bit when played, and a good amount on low notes, but there is a distinct difference between that smell and hot ass coil so you are ok. If you get a chance, just smell near the spider landing/pole vent and you can probably smell the same smell. just a fresh woofa smell

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

If the dustcap is hot no bueno

Slightly warm is ok

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I've just retuned everything. For some reason, my headunit clips after volume after 28 knob. It use to clip after 30 but after all the new changes I've made, it's now at 29 and over.

I've taken out the broken PPI P900.4 and put in my old eD Nine.2 (I'm surprise that thing is still working until today. I got it back in 2007 or so) and tuned everything at 0db test tone.

The DC5K is tuned at 0dB to output about 4000 watts total. For shit and giggles, I played the 40hz -5dB track to see how much power I'd be outputting for the lowest songs and it was only outputting about 2000 watt total. I just did a 10 minute drive on full tilt with the new tuned settings and the voltage averages about 12.9V. I guess the XP3000 helps a lot haha.

Once I get my new Alt in I'll probably retune it at 40 hz @ -5dB test tone instead of a 0dB tone (unless all the DC Audio people here recommend I stick with the 0dB tone).

All in all, I'm satisfied with the new equipment :)

Note: The amp and dustcap were just a little warm and hot so I think I'm good so far.

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

What happens with new subs, especially ones with a spider pack like the XLs, when the sub is new the spider pack is still stiff and wont allow the coil to move alot in the gap. When this happens, heat builds up and you get the "stinky" smell. Now as the spider pack breaks in, the coil can move up and down in the gap like it is supposed to and this allows the cooling that is built into the motor to work properly to help keep the coil cool and should get rid of your stinky smell.

Edited by CJ18

Update:

69.3V tuned with 40hZ @ 0dB test tone. About 4802 watts rms

When I changed track to 40 hZ -5dB tone, it's about 1440 watts total.

My old eD 13ov.2's i tuned it with a -5dB tone just to be louder. What do you guys suggest for the dc subs? should I just stick with 0dB tuned settings and retuned to -5dB for louder output once the subs break in?

I didn't clamp it yet. Link me to the needed materials please :)

All I used was my velleman oscope to make sure i had clean waves.

Edited by moh.vze.com