Sonic Electronix

Thin Firewall Metal Rattles Underneath My Hatchback

I want to start this topic by saying thanks for all of the help with my last post about voltage issues. It really helped me a lot.

Unfortunately the metal underneath my VW Golf has been a huge problem ever since my first time with a sub. You know its that thin kind a metal thats all bumpy and its supposed to keep heat from getting into the car. it is located right above the muffler tank between the back wheels. I want to fix it with deadener but I read some stuff about people just removing the metal all together. Any ideas?

you're talking about the exhaust shielding. mine rattles too and i fucking hate it.

its mainly there (from what i've read) so that when you park on grass, or anything that can catch fire, it doesn't ignite it and set your car on fire.

edit: at least thats what i think you're talking about.

I had the same issue in my old vibe. Tore the fucker out no problems for a year til i traded her in. Tear the bitch out.

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

ive gotten rid of several myself just make sure it isnt serving more of a purpose than listed above. The manufacturer put it there.... must be a reason.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

You could take it off and have someone weld a couple of pieces of 1/8 flat bar across the width or length of it. That will probably stop that thing from rattling. That or just cut a 45 into each corner in about an inch and fold the 4 sides down to make it like a tray. Weld the corners up and it might help.

Tear it out, just a heat shield like everyone else is saying. As long as it isn't a turbo model and your EGT's don't climb too awfully high, and you don't "rally car that bish" you'll be fine. Just pay attention where you park and whatnot :)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived