Sundown Audio

rms at 2.67 ohm load ?....help :)

Eddie Long

So, I am getting a Precision Power BK1800.1 D.

The subs I am getting are rated at 300 rms. Getting 3 subs.

Need to decide if I am going to get dual 4 ohm (would be wired to 2.67 ohm) or single 4 ohm (wired to 1.34 ohm).

Rms of the amp is 700 @ 4 ohm, 1100 @ 2 ohm, and 1800 @ 1 ohm.

I need around 900 rms.

Does anybody know "about" what the rms of this amp would be at 2.67 ohm load ?

I am ordering the subs and the amp the beginning of next week. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks :)

Honestly, I can't seem to find how much power that amp really puts out.

Just get single 4 ohm coils and set your gain conservatively. More clean power > less dirty power

Edit: With those subs. get the single 4 for sure. But t-lines don't provide much cone control, so you may be turning the amp down quite a bit. I don't know

Honestly, I can't seem to find how much power that amp really puts out.

Just get single 4 ohm coils and set your gain conservatively. More clean power > less dirty power

Kinda what I was thinking too.......thanks very much for the help. Will get the single 4's.

Why are you getting 3? Just for curiosity purposes? What kind of airspace are you planning on feeding these subs? Power can only be determined once you figure out if you're gonna run a LOT of airspace(in which case lower power can be fed to the subs) or minimal airspace where you'll need to send more power. I'm curious on why you'd want two if them, if you have the space available to do 2 15s instead(where I'd get dual 4s). If the 3 12s is where your heart is set, get the single 4s. They would still work in other applications since they aren't big power handling subs in the first place. If you got the single '4s and only chose to run 2 in any future build, you're running at 2 ohms which is perfectly fine and most amps will feed them enough power to do their job.

To really answer your question, power at 2.67 ohms would probably be around 800-900 before impedance rise.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Well, the reason for the 12's is just for SQ. 12's sound a little better I think and these 12's get low also. And, they will be in a T-line box so they will get even lower. I decided on 3 of them just because I have the room for the box for 3 of them. They will be in my 1999 Tahoe 4 door. Any more thoughts are appreciated....thanks :)

• 6 years later...

I know this waaaay late, but I see this question a lot. I will not bore you with the math, but based on the specs you posted, I did a nonlinear regression and you should get about 916 watts at 2.67 ohms. The R-squared value is 0.9994, which means the formula is pretty accurate. Excel can generate the formula based on the amp specs, then you just plug & play. Hope this helps someone else someday...

snip.jpg

Archived