Tuning With Oscilloscope

KScarboy

My current system is an Alpine CDE (forgot the exact model number), Clarion EQS746, 2 Skar Audio VXI65 component sets, 2 Skar VVX 12's, an MB Quart 125.4, and a Skar 1500.1d. I have alrady set my gains with a DMM, but I have access to an oscilloscope at school, and plan on tuning my system with that sometime this week for better accuracy. My questions are: How do I find the clipping point of my head unit, and equalizer combo? I'm assuming I can use the procedure described in the DD-1 manual on how to find the head unit's clipping point through the amplifier. It basically says to play a test tone with the speakers disconnected, the gain turned all the way down, the probes hooked up to the positive and negative speaker outputs, and then it says to gradually increase the head unit volume until distortion is shown on the oscilloscope. I plan to do this procedure with the equalizer flattened out, and its volume and subwoofer levels turned all the way up, using a 1kHz -0dB track for my mids and highs amp, and a 40Hz -0dB track for my bass amp. Then I would keep the head unit at the average of those two numbers. Would this be a correct way for determining what volume my head unit and equalizer combo clips at? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-1999 Mercury Grand Marquis

-Skar 1500.1d

-Two Skar VVX 12's

-Two Skar VXI65 component sets

-MB Quart 125.4

-Clarion EQS746

-Stinger zero gauge power wire

-Big three

-Kinetic HC600 in trunk

Archived