Sundown Audio

gains

HC3400BLK

ok i been using my gains as a volume on my amp so i would like to no the right way to set the gains

Go to this site first and check your max voltage output for your amp: http://www.caraudio911.com/tutorials/GainS...Set/voltage.htm

Then:

1. Disconnect your sub from your amp and turn the GAIN on the amp to zero

2. Play a test tone CD between 50 and 60 Hertz (You could do music too)

3. Turn off all EQ (Flat)

4. Turn off all processing

5. Turn your headunit volume up to about 3/4

6. If you have a Subwoofer volume on your H/U, make sure it's in the middle

7. Connect a multimeter (Radioshack), in the place of your sub.

8. Switch your multimeter to AC voltage (make sure it is set to be able to handle at least the max output of your amp.)

9. With the test tone or music playing turn the gain up until your multimeter reads a maximum voltage AT or BELOW the max output of your amp.

***I have an 800 W @ 2ohm amp. It's output voltage max is 40V. I usually set my gain until my multimeter reads about 38V.

YOU ARE DONE

let me know if you have questions

ahhhhhh stop with that crap lol

i tried it SEVERAL times, always ending up way too low.

Turn the gain up until it quits getting louder, and back it down a bit.  Thats the way ive always done it and ive always been fine.   :^

lol

I've set mine the way explained by Dale without any problems. Not as good as setting with a sillyscope, but darn near it.

Hifonics BX-1500D 38.7volts @1ohm

Hifonics BX-2005D 44.7volts @1ohm

It took me a while to actually get it right. I used a 5 minute 50Hz test tone recorded at 0dB for the tuning. Had to play with the subsonic filter, lowpass filter, and bass boost to get it right on the money. The bass boost was just to fine tune it a little, barely even opened. I think I needed .3 volts more, which I got from that.

Team Pinnacle / Team SouthEastSPL / Team SoundStream / Team GPI / GPI Sales Rep for Florida and Georgia

Archived