DC Sound Lab

Is it even feasible to design some 8s with a 3" coil?

That would be wicked sweet

I think the best we can hope for is that Rusty finds a way to do a 2.5" coil or just use the regular LEvel 2 motor on them. If you use a 3" coil, you leave very little room for spider width since we are talking about an 8" sub. Im not sure exactly how big the spiders on the 8s are, but I would venture a guess somewhere around 6.5". If you take up 3" of that with coil, not you have 1.75" on all sides for spider. I am no sub designer, but that doesnt seem like much fabric.

You could yes but it would use up so much of your spider that you would have very little cone travel left. Your option for that would be increase the roll height but that can cause other issues, Spider (oil canning) or the rolls hitting the cone.

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

I think the best we can hope for is that Rusty finds a way to do a 2.5" coil or just use the regular LEvel 2 motor on them. If you use a 3" coil, you leave very little room for spider width since we are talking about an 8" sub. Im not sure exactly how big the spiders on the 8s are, but I would venture a guess somewhere around 6.5". If you take up 3" of that with coil, not you have 1.75" on all sides for spider. I am no sub designer, but that doesnt seem like much fabric.

That's what I was concerned about. I just wasn't sure if it would be possible do some custom tooled baskets and some special linear roll spiders or something since it seems like they allow a bit more movement than progressive roll (I think)

That's what I was concerned about. I just wasn't sure if it would be possible do some custom tooled baskets and some special linear roll spiders or something since it seems like they allow a bit more movement than progressive roll (I think)

You could yes but it would use up so much of your spider that you would have very little cone travel left. Your option for that would be increase the roll height but that can cause other issues, Spider (oil canning) or the rolls hitting the cone.

Well I guess there is no overcoming physics haha.

What do you mean by oil canning?

I think we hit reply at almost the same time lol

haha yes we did. See all of those random questions I ask do stick with me. I might not know exactly what you mean at the time, but its times like this when that light comes on and it all makes sense. Cant wait to get out there and learn as much as I can in the few days that I have!

Who knows, maybe something big will happen in the next few weeks and there will be a huge amount of orders that need to be built :peepwall:

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

The 2" coil has proven to be able to handle 600w or more with ease.(i mean who listens to manufacture power ratings anyway.....) For the guys buying 8s, not too many are trying to throw 2k to 1 8 anyway. For most people that are going to buy the 8s, they are building a small setup in a trunk or any vehicle with space constraints and they dont want to dump alot of money into electrical upgrades to be able to run alot of power. 2 8s and a 1.2k are a great combo.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1