how to: 2 270 H.O. alts on 1 battery bank ?

I have dual alts.

both alts to the front batt which is connected to the rear batts.

no need to isolate them unless you are running different voltages.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

You would need to run 1 alts power to the front battery and the second alts power to the last in line rear battery, so you dont get both alts fighting each other.

Nope.

Both alts should be regulated at the same voltage. Both alts should be connected together in parallel. Both alts should be connected to the front battery. Both alts should be connected to the back battery.

Only time you'd do different is if you were running a 12v setup up front and 16v setup in the back. But there is no discussion here about that so we will not bring it up and add to the confusion.

Alternators do not fight eachother, you can indeed put power on top of power. Its called parallel. Voltage stays the same and current is summed. Same with batts and chargers. You can gang up battery chargers together in parallel to get more current.

Of course they'd all have to be of a similar voltage. 12v in this case.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

To add to Ed's comments, alternators also have rectifying diodes in them.

They rectify the internal AC current and also block any external current from entering the alternator.

Therefore one Alt can't harm another.

As mentioned, you do want to regulate both to the same voltage or as close as possible to evenly distribute the load.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

Thanx for the post i was starting to think no one was gonna help lol. I see from what you said that i was going about it wrong. My idea was to add up the fuse rating of the amps then add in the draw of the suv.....05' suburban sry i should have stated that in my post. What im looking at are the new zv.4 subs that jacob from sundown is building in his section of smd. They are rated @ 1750 watts. My only goal is to have my electrical to the point that i can wang thsese daily and have no drop in voltage. Taking efficency into consideration will the saz-3500d be enough to push the subs to the max......for daily keep in mind. If i get this accomplished with only onle alt that would be awsome if could run one big alt say a dc 300 amp or more and meet/exceed my need to have an over kill electrical i would be ecstatic lol. I can see myself going to 4 subs and amps strapped in the future b/c nuthings ever good enough lol. Once again thank you for the knowledge its very greatly appreciated.

A 3500D and 2 Sundown Zs can be a nice setup.

Taking the efficiency of maybe 80%, then you need to produce 4375w to get the amp to full power. Lets say another 1000w for mids/highs, and 1000w for car/engine.

That's 6375w you need to make from the electrical.

Batts are very crucial because time is a factor in making power and batts store energy over time. So they will give you the juice you need as not to drop voltage to a critical level.

The batt to fit in a Suburban is indeed a D3400. ( I am good aren't I?)

So if you did a D3400 under the hood, thats 4000w. 2375w to go.

Lets add an XP2500.

That gets you just barely over your goal. Since you want more headroom and room to possibly upgrade to another 3500D in the future, lets shoot for over 10,000w because of our efficiency and engine and highs. Calculation shows 10,750w.

Lets add 10-12% overhead and get to 12,000w.

The D3400 gives 4000w. We need 8000 more.

We have options. How about 4) XP2000s. ? Nice but takes up a lot of room.

Can do 3) XP3000s for less room and more power. I like that.

So now we have 4 batts capable of 13,000w total.

Add the aH rating of all those batts and get 425 aH

To get the magical ratio or under of 1:1 for charging time, you need at least 510A of alts when taking efficiency into account of 20% loss.

This now fits more with your dual setup of 2 270A alts, which will give you a ratio of 1:0.94 meaning that for every minute of play, you can charge the batts to full in 56 seconds.

That is pretty darn good for that power level.

That electrical setup with only 1 3500D will just allow you to play much much longer before the batteries aver see a dent in their capacity.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Thanx for the post i was starting to think no one was gonna help lol. I see from what you said that i was going about it wrong. My idea was to add up the fuse rating of the amps then add in the draw of the suv.....05' suburban sry i should have stated that in my post. What im looking at are the new zv.4 subs that jacob from sundown is building in his section of smd. They are rated @ 1750 watts. My only goal is to have my electrical to the point that i can wang thsese daily and have no drop in voltage. Taking efficency into consideration will the saz-3500d be enough to push the subs to the max......for daily keep in mind. If i get this accomplished with only onle alt that would be awsome if could run one big alt say a dc 300 amp or more and meet/exceed my need to have an over kill electrical i would be ecstatic lol. I can see myself going to 4 subs and amps strapped in the future b/c nuthings ever good enough lol. Once again thank you for the knowledge its very greatly appreciated.

A 3500D and 2 Sundown Zs can be a nice setup.

Taking the efficiency of maybe 80%, then you need to produce 4375w to get the amp to full power. Lets say another 1000w for mids/highs, and 1000w for car/engine.

That's 6375w you need to make from the electrical.

Batts are very crucial because time is a factor in making power and batts store energy over time. So they will give you the juice you need as not to drop voltage to a critical level.

The batt to fit in a Suburban is indeed a D3400. ( I am good aren't I?)

So if you did a D3400 under the hood, thats 4000w. 2375w to go.

Lets add an XP2500.

That gets you just barely over your goal. Since you want more headroom and room to possibly upgrade to another 3500D in the future, lets shoot for over 10,000w because of our efficiency and engine and highs. Calculation shows 10,750w.

Lets add 10-12% overhead and get to 12,000w.

The D3400 gives 4000w. We need 8000 more.

We have options. How about 4) XP2000s. ? Nice but takes up a lot of room.

Can do 3) XP3000s for less room and more power. I like that.

So now we have 4 batts capable of 13,000w total.

Add the aH rating of all those batts and get 425 aH

To get the magical ratio or under of 1:1 for charging time, you need at least 510A of alts when taking efficiency into account of 20% loss.

This now fits more with your dual setup of 2 270A alts, which will give you a ratio of 1:0.94 meaning that for every minute of play, you can charge the batts to full in 56 seconds.

That is pretty darn good for that power level.

That electrical setup with only 1 3500D will just allow you to play much much longer before the batteries aver see a dent in their capacity.

you explanations open my eyes so much. so much good information to apply to my system. that is awesome man!!! you should do a sticky thread on how to calculate power requirements for your system. unless there already is one which i dont think there is.

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

I've learned alot just reading this...now I'm not sure if have enough for my small setup

2007 Ford Ranger

(ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES)

K&N Performance Air Intake

Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier

2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed)

4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8"

2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks

2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries

JL AUDIO Interconnects

2/0 Gauge Big 3

ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals

ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers

Factory Alternator

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased)

2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD
1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x
Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components
Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9
2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed)
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player
Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System
Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver
Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator
3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries
1 - Optima D34/78 Battery

Archived