Sonic Electronix

Where'd you learn what you know about car audio?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Online.

I remember the first useful information I learned was that you gotta use kicker square subs for square body vehicles (chevy s-10, 88 mustang, etc) and round subs for round body cars.

I had round subs in my jeep at the time and what a difference it made when I switched to square subs!

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

From my interest in electronics at the age of 12 and building small amplifier circuits, by teaching myself from the city library. Then I started fixing audio stuff for people I knew and next thing I was getting asked to install stuff after fixing it... yall know where it all leads haha. Over 20 years later, I'm across the world and still doin my thing :)

I think I was about 8 or 9 when I was taught how to solder. Wasn't too much longer after that I was working on a variety of electronics learning from my dad. everything from audio, wide band radio to tube tv's ;) Around 14 I started troubleshooting car audio for neighbors. Soon after that I was working on wiring pump systems, interiors, and paint. My mom did ceramics and taught me how to airbrush. I quickly adapted that to cars where I could. Until the internet. It was trial and error. Mostly error and redo ;) I had the skills to do a solid job. It wasn't until the internet that I saw others skills that I wanted to really work on mine. Now I use every chance I can to research ideas and designs to better my abilities.

I guess it's partly what us older guys see wrong with the younger guys asking questions. With the overwhelming amount of info available, there is no reason for the trial and error and the amount of lazyness that is seen in the majority of installs these days. There is no reason for the guys just starting out on their 1st buildlog to not have quality work in it. It's not rocket science. It doesn't take cool amp racks or plexi and led's to be nice. Simple clean wiring. Taking time to carpet. Sanding and filling screw holes with wood filler isn't hard. This was all standard stuff long before the internet. Take pride in what you do. If you are here to show off your work, then lets put some pride in it.

Edited by kingsuv

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

• 7 years later...

I started taking things apart when I was a kid and figuring them out, always had an interest in music and stereos but really got into it when I was about 15.

Mostly Magazines and trial and error, then the internet came along and this forum and youtube.

Looking to actually get the MECP certificate for shits n gigs.