Anybody ever added an EQ before a stock amp?

RyNWA420

Alright... I have this idea of possibly getting an Audio Control DQXS "Digital crossover / equalizer" and installing it in my Kia Soul between my radio and the stock amplifier using 4 sets of these JL Audio speaker wire - RCA converters. Anybody ever done anything like this to give yourself control over the stock amplifier, maybe upping the signal going into it slightly to make it sound a little better plus have far more control over the frequencies going to the speakers in the front and rear. This probably seems like a waste of time but I could always use this as a building block down the road to completely eliminate use of the stock amp (keeping the stock radio though, it has most any features I'd want from an aftermarket h/u, just without any real control over the sound).

Anyways just looking for some input on this idea... think I would fry the guts of the little stock amp in the process by playing with the input voltage? The DQXS has a nice little meter on the front for voltage read outs, I could always test the voltage from the radio and match the signal and just use it for EQ purposes.

I'm going to be running an Audio Control Epicenter for sure in my system, I listen to tons of mp3's, mixtapes, crappy sounding rips, etc... want it to clean up the lows.

Also guess I should throw out there I plan on replacing all of the stock speakers with JBL GTO series components up front, 2-way coax in the rear, and the 2-way coax 4" for the center channel. I picked these speakers because they are 2 ohm like the stock, couldn't really find many options in 2 ohm speakers for this elaborate plan.

Hit me up with some input....

• 1 month later...

I believe your amp uses regular high level inputs, correct? Not RCA? So really, what you're talking about is using RCA from the HU to the Audio Control, and then trying to get from RCA to high level inputs after the Audio Control to go into your amp. Seems like a lot of work with minimal payoff. Why not get a cheap small $20 amp on ebay with RCA low leve inputs? Might even cost the same or less, because you dont need to source a device that will up your RCA voltage back to high level voltage, or convert your RCAs to line level wires. You might even notice better sound out of an aftermarket amp. Check out Phase LInear amps on ebay....

Archived