Second Skin Audio

Hello all, I have a pretty funky setup at the moment, you might be scratching your head when you see some of the pictures, but that's beside the point. I was wondering if my port placement will cause the sub to unload at higher volumes? Also, how will I know if it does unload, any special sound I should listen for? I have been playing it (powered from a psu) and it seems to sound fine... Any input would be great, thanks.

another sound you may want to listen for is a clanking noise...if the sub unloads it can "bottom out"...in most cases subs are overhung which means that the coil will hit the back plate of the magnet before anything else limits it's movement. The clink you'd hear is the voice coil hitting the back plate. This is bad because it can damage the voicecoil significantly. This generally happens when pushing the sub hard at too low of a frequency (below the box's tuning frequency), although it could potentially happen at anytime the sub is overdriven.

another sound you may want to listen for is a clanking noise...if the sub unloads it can "bottom out"...in most cases subs are overhung which means that the coil will hit the back plate of the magnet before anything else limits it's movement. The clink you'd hear is the voice coil hitting the back plate. This is bad because it can damage the voicecoil significantly. This generally happens when pushing the sub hard at too low of a frequency (below the box's tuning frequency), although it could potentially happen at anytime the sub is overdriven.

Alright, I'll keep an ear open. Today i ran a 15 Hz signal to it pretty much as far as it can go, and no bottoming out, and no unloading, so I guess its all good in the hood. haha

Archived