Sundown Audio

Z v.4 15" Prototype Built Up

why is everybody so stuck on the surround jl audio w7 line has the same type of surround im just curious to know will they come in 18s with that surround since jl stops at 13w7 and will it be able to grab those low deep notes

JL 13W7:

c0cd0b95d6b65fc40ae3e3a44a6621b3.jpg?1322528317

Z. v.4 12:

CIMG6651.JPG

Yeah... No.

Looking awesome Jacob, I hope to own a pair of these 15's one day! :)

Edited by BobbyG2
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

*New vehicle and system coming soon.*

We have an Sd reduction of about 10% on the 12s and 15s -- no SD reduction at all on the 10 (it's slightly over-sized) -- 10% SD is ~0.3dB compared to increasing the displacement limits by enough to equal about 1.5 to 2 dB and also all but eliminating suspension component and glue joint failures, reducing distortion dramatically, etc.

It doesn't take a speaker designer to guess which one most folks will prefer; especially in the age of low priced / high power amplifiers.

The real truth is that there are almost NO surrounds out there today that can handle truly HIGH excursion beyond the mid to high 30s range reliably -- none of the lauded "high rolls" can do it when one does the math on their rolls. It may take a while for folks to adjust to it but I am willing to bet you'll see many others following suit.

So all with good reason :)

Edited by sundownz
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

We have an Sd reduction of about 10% on the 12s and 15s -- no SD reduction at all on the 10 (it's slightly over-sized) -- 10% SD is ~0.3dB compared to increasing the displacement limits by enough to equal about 1.5 to 2 dB and also all but eliminating suspension component and glue joint failures, reducing distortion dramatically, etc.

It doesn't take a speaker designer to guess which one most folks will prefer; especially in the age of low priced / high power amplifiers.

The real truth is that there are almost NO surrounds out there today that can handle truly HIGH excursion beyond the mid to high 30s range reliably -- none of the lauded "high rolls" can do it when one does the math on their rolls. It may take a while for folks to adjust to it but I am willing to bet you'll see many others following suit.

So all with good reason :)

Only Orion and Earthquake have surrounds capable of some "real" excursion as of now. This is completely true.

I'm gonna hate

Ran some specs on this one too :

Re : 3.82 ohms

Fs : 25.32 Hz

Qes : 0.37

Qms : 5.31

Qts : 0.35

Le : 4.28 mH

Vas : 64.03 L

BL : 27.56 NA

Mms : 466 g

Cms : 84 uM/N

Sens : 86.19 dB

BL^2/RE : 198.68

Box Models :

3 cubes @ 30 Hz ported = F3 of 25 Hz fairly flat

4 cubes @ 35 Hz = F3 of 28 Hz / peak of ~5 dB around tuning

2 cubes sealed = F3 of 50 Hz / Qtc = 0.530

I may try one of these puppies sealed in my ride :)

Of course all subject to final production spec -- but this shouldn't be too far off by the time we use the stock black spider and stiffer surround.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

People need to remember that all the extra throw we're going to get out of these subs is going to more than make up for the reduction in cone size. Also some parts of the surround will still displace some air as well. Let Jacob work his magic. These are beast subs.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

People need to remember that all the extra throw we're going to get out of these subs is going to more than make up for the reduction in cone size. Also some parts of the surround will still displace some air as well. Let Jacob work his magic. These are beast subs.

x2

to many Dr. Subwoofers.......

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.