Sundown Audio

Revisiting the X-8 : New Thread

Our prior unit had extensive supplier issues to the point where we've just had to write off all of that work and tooling.

In any event... I decided to re-visit the X-8 idea and base it on our SA-8 v.2 frame tooling.

The first challenge was to make a GREAT spider for a 2.5" coil on an 8" woofer... which is difficult and we used extensive software optimization before tooling. Fortunately our basket allows a spider about 10mm wider than pretty much all other 8" frames out there.

Since the spider is the main challenger we had that tooled first and then built up a test bed to test with :

CIMG6783.JPG

* Former was too tall / big in diameter for the SA-8 dust cap to work so I had to use an SA-12 dust cap; which came all the way out to glue onto the surround edge.

CIMG6784.JPG

* SA-12 Motor

CIMG6785.JPG

* We had an adapter machined to mount the motor; I decided to have some extras made for some brave DIY folks that may want to make a similar project.

CIMG6786.JPG

* There is the beastly new spider tooling -- this thing worked great !

I was able to test the X-8 spider with an SA-12 motor / coil and SA-8 v.2 cone and surround. The X-8 will have it's own unique motor, cone, and surround for production. Those parts aren't done yet and I wanted to test the spider so we built it like this for now smile.png

I am very pleased with the spiders excursion capacity and linearity. I will get some Klippel measurements done on it soon as well to verify... my "push the cone Klippel" indicates that the spider has a very linear compliance to it for quite a bit of travel in both directions -- anxious to see the actual plots smile.png All of the computer optimization on this spider definitely paid off with the result.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

Another sick product from sundown! Good job Jacob!

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

if you put a DD-1 in your amp terminal and it immediately went up in smoke, i would be concerned.

If you shoved your dick in the terminal and it didn't blow up but a month later it blew up, i STILL WOULDN'T be able to blame your dick.

It just does not make sense at all.

Once I get it in a box I will get some music videos -- our QC test track doesn't really reflect how it will actually sound. We just use it for this type of test as it has many varying frequencies and is pretty hard on any driver.

- Jacob Fuller

- Owner, Sundown Audio

- Sundown Audio on FACEBOOK

- Please DO NOT PM ME -- use my email address -- [email protected]

Banner_468x60.jpg

8" in beast mode. By the look of it, it's moving around 2.5" p-p? Love the looks of that 8" though... I'm sure the final motor structure will make it much more purdy!

My Build Log- T E A M S U N D O W N A U D I O -

2013 DbDrag WF SS1-2 - 5th Place 154.6db

2013 MECA Mod3 CA State Final Champ 153.4db