upgrading myeletrical?no alt options help

hey wassup guys im doing my install in my 1970 mercedes 280sel it has a inline 6 with a 35 amp alternator ive looked for bigger alternators and i cant find any and i was wondering if you had any tips i will be running eathier a audiopipe 3000 watt or two sundown 1500 amps with to 700 watt rms 4 channels all info is welcome thanks

oK, well,

I guess i will ask i you have contacted mechman, singer, exessive amperage, tenney, and DC alternators.

Sometimes you ave to get creative and get an alt that may not be a direct replacement alt. you may have to make a bracket, or you may just be out of luck.

Usually using email and contacting each companies sales department, explaining your situation will help.

You may just have to get creative to get an alternator to work on your vehicle. a 35 amp alt isn't going to get you far. Now, i come from a family of mechanics and what i have learned is, if you can find a place to mount a 3 wire GM alt, then you can do some work.

I put a 3 wire GM alt on a 1960 ford fairlane than had a generator as a stock charging unit with no real mods other than a bracket. So, you know, there is usually almost always hope. Actually, having an older vehicle may help you find a replacement.

That said, I will admit, that my knowledge of Mecredes Benz vehicles is limited.

oK, well,

I guess i will ask i you have contacted mechman, singer, exessive amperage, tenney, and DC alternators.

Sometimes you ave to get creative and get an alt that may not be a direct replacement alt. you may have to make a bracket, or you may just be out of luck.

Usually using email and contacting each companies sales department, explaining your situation will help.

You may just have to get creative to get an alternator to work on your vehicle. a 35 amp alt isn't going to get you far. Now, i come from a family of mechanics and what i have learned is, if you can find a place to mount a 3 wire GM alt, then you can do some work.

I put a 3 wire GM alt on a 1960 ford fairlane than had a generator as a stock charging unit with no real mods other than a bracket. So, you know, there is usually almost always hope. Actually, having an older vehicle may help you find a replacement.

That said, I will admit, that my knowledge of Mecredes Benz vehicles is limited.

thanks im going to try and emailing them and im also going to see into bulding a bracket to modify a alt on there great advice tho i was thinking on running multiple battery with isolators

I didn't mention extra batteries because 35 amps probably only covers what your car is using. your headlights, blower for your heater and park lights combined probably draw right about that much. Adding extra batteries might actually put more strain on your charging system as it is.

But, yes. With a decent alternator, extra batteries, or at least a good main battery will help a lot.

Of course, with what you are planning, you could just throw tons of batteries in and try to rely on your battery reserve. I won't encourage that though because equipment is expensive and good electrical is like insurance. Most the guys around here try to stay above the resting voltage of their batteries under full load with the vehicle running.

I don't know how much knowledge you have of car audio, so i won't go too deeply into all that or why that is important. If i did this post would be very long. If you need to learn about that then maybe search for posts from the user "snafu".

Archived