snafu

Capacitors - What's the REAL story?

257 posts in this topic

OK, so every time a question comes up about capacitors - the resounding answer here is, "caps are junk - yank it and you're better off" . . . Now, let's get the obvious out of the way and curtail this discussion to quality capacitors - of which there are still a few brands to choose from.

Who can prove that yanking a quality capacitor is beneficial?

Caps don't hold enough power to be useful - even nice ones will be drained in a fraction of a second

cool, again I'm just going to remain quiet and learn as much as I can.

12 people like this

If its a quality cap I dont see how it could be bad... but what you see a ton of the time is people try to use them like bandaids to fix a power problem instead of an alt/batteries. I thought some burp vehicles use capacitor banks and some sq rides right before the amp to "clean" up the power since I don't knwo what the real term for it is.

I can't prove crap as most of these questions you ask, Snafu, go right over my head and the math/theorys invovled are above my education level.

Edited by Chris Hammer
1 person likes this

x2, too much knowledge about car audio eludes me. Snafu, teach.

2 people like this

I've always wondered about capacitors (quality ones at least). I know that the Rockford Fosgate T15k uses capacitors so I would imagine if used correctly they would be beneficial. Now If you can get similar/better performance from a battery at a lower cost then the only benefit I see is the amount of space they take up and maybe effective lifespan of a capacitor, but I really don't know if a capacitor lasts longer than a battery.

If its a quality cap I dont see how it could be bad... but what you see a ton of the time is people try to use them like bandaids to fix a power problem instead of an alt/batteries. I thought some burp vehicles use capacitor banks and some sq rides right before the amp to "clean" up the power since I don't knwo what the real term for it is.

WOOOO ADD A CAP AND I CAN RUN 8K ON A STOCK 50A ALT AND GROUP 41 LEAD ACID BATTERY!!!!!11!!!1!11!

frabz-derp-c97d4a.jpg

Edited by Lbox88
8 people like this

x2, too much knowledge about car audio eludes me. Snafu, teach.

X3 :popcorn:

Edited by youngsticky

Can you prove that?

I can prove that dollar for dollar there is something more effective than a cap for daily use, but not that the capacitor itself is detrimental :unknw:

Edited by SnowDrifter

WOOOO ADD A CAP AND I CAN RUN 8K ON A STOCK 50A ALT AND GROUP 41 LEAD ACID BATTERY!!!!!11!!!1!11!

OK, sure we've all heard people discuss stuff like that . . . but is that as "silly" as dismissing capacitors altogether? Hmmmm . . .