CE Auto Electric Supply

Steve, what's your take on capacitors?

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

63 of what size? Pics?

63 caps, ummm? Why only 63 caps, and why not go all out?

I'm not implying you didn't hit 165+ with ease, but I just can't get over

stopping at only 63 caps. For the life of me why?

Pretty sure the type of caps he is using will be a group of caps in series parallel type setup. Like the Maxwell caps you see people using. They come in a 2.2v so you need so many to bring you up to the voltage you need to store, then you could have a couple banks of them.

I'm sure he isn't using some cheap off the retail shelf "car audio" cap

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

isnt the batcap like 8000 something or another just a big cap? like in the "DD Beast 15" Woofer test" SPL Videos hes running oh idk like 2 8k amps with a single huge batcap cell in the rear???

nvm it is a battery.

Edited by P4killer_

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

63 of what size? Pics?

Pretty sure the type of caps he is using will be a group of caps in series parallel type setup. Like the Maxwell caps you see people using. They come in a 2.2v so you need so many to bring you up to the voltage you need to store, then you could have a couple banks of them.

Why do something so SPL focused and then not go all out?

63 of what size? Pics?

Why do something so SPL focused and then not go all out?

If he has enough reserve capacity to deliver the voltage needed for his SPL application, what else does he need?

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

my 14 caps work well ...63 would be enough to supprt 20k wattsplus

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

If caps strain the charging system like I've seen commented. Why don't the battery or batteries strain the system. I don't use them anymore and haven't for years. It's just to me they both charge and discharge at different rates of course either way they cycle. So what's the differance? Snafu a couple of weeks and I'll be ready for #2 sir.

In reading this entire topic on this forum and looking at what you guys have been talking about I began to think and run idea's in my head and on paper until my brain began to overheat... While letting it cool off I went surfing on the Http super way and looked for answers; this concluded in a cluster f*ck of rambling. Well this is my take on caps:

Looking at the video of the guy testing voltage coming from the battery and cap when draw is applied you see the battery has a higher voltage than the capacitor... That would make sense seeming that the battery has more reserve than the capacitor because it is built for it, that is why they are called deep cycle batteries... takes awhile to run them down. It also would make sense because the battery has a charger connected to it and the capacitor is connected to the battery. But the man conducting the test said it was a 25amp charger if I am not mistaken? well the load was much greater then the battery could keep up with by itself even with the charger connected to it. Well in that case the capacitor would absolutely be another strain on the charging system, but what if the electrical system was at its peak performance with no capacitor and had relativity no voltage drop when playing music or burping tones. Now if we install a capacitor in this theoretical "perfect" electrical system it does "dump" its charge quicker then a battery can due to how it is built, so when you do have a millisecond of voltage difference due to a certain frequency then you can reduce the inefficiency of the battery by using a cap, this is due to the electrical system being able to fully charge the capacitor back up and not waiting for the alternator to catch back up.

In my mind a good test would be the effects a capacitor has across the entire frequency spectrum to see how even the peaks and troughs are in a signal. This is why I believe people who use capacitors in a sub par electrical system hear a difference when playing music, because the electrical can support the system when its running in the "non demanding" frequencies but when it hits those notes that need juice it has that millisecond of extra juice to help push to note out and make it sound better.

That is just my 2 cents.

Edited by Daniel J Blitch

Building an Empire.