CE Auto Electric Supply

Can you prove that?

I can prove that dollar for dollar there is something more effective than a cap for daily use, but not that the capacitor itself is detrimental :unknw:

Edited by SnowDrifter

If its a quality cap I dont see how it could be bad... but what you see a ton of the time is people try to use them like bandaids to fix a power problem instead of an alt/batteries. I thought some burp vehicles use capacitor banks and some sq rides right before the amp to "clean" up the power since I don't knwo what the real term for it is.

WOOOO ADD A CAP AND I CAN RUN 8K ON A STOCK 50A ALT AND GROUP 41 LEAD ACID BATTERY!!!!!11!!!1!11!

OK, sure we've all heard people discuss stuff like that . . . but is that as "silly" as dismissing capacitors altogether? Hmmmm . . .

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

I've always thought that with the right electrical they can be beneficial, but people tend to use them as a battery (trying to cure light dimming, large voltage drop, ect.). Large voltage drops like that are too big of a job for a capacitor. They're more of a stiffener, if your electrical is solid but drops slightly during heavy bass drops then a good capacitor would benefit them.

I think of it like a camera, when the flash is charging you can hear the capacitor. When the flash goes off its a very quick event, not sustained. If you were to keep the light on running off the capacitor it would still be on... Just not as bright.

I may be completely wrong, but that's why I love these threads. If I am I will learn what's right.

Build log: Click

03 Chevy Blazer

- IPad Air 2 

- ALPINE Head Unit

- 4 DC XL 18s

- 2 DC 3.5k

- ALPINE TYPE R 5.25 COMP

- 3 ALPINE TYPE R 6.5 COMPs

- DC 175.4

- DC HO Alt

- D3400

- 4 XP3000s

- KNU 0ga

- 60 SqFt Damp Pro

Lots more...

I think theres still applications that they could help...but all I meant was they aren't bandaids for systems with voltage drop.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Can you prove that?

I can prove that dollar for dollar there is something more effective than a cap for daily use, but not that the capacitor itself is detrimental :unknw:

But if a cap lasts longer (useful life) compared to a battery and takes up a smaller footprint than a comparable battery then there would be an advantage to caps compared to battery's. but I'm just speculating because I have no experience with them.

Honestly as much as i should just shut up here is what i think about the whole cap story. People who have ran caps are usually people with piss poor electrical and have way more current being drawn than the cap can keep up with to stabilize the voltage so their voltage drops down as a result and their alt gets hot since it has a harder time trying to recharge that drained capacitor. Now those same people go to batteries which the voltage does drop still as a result of that weak end alternator however they have more power they can draw before that voltage gets down as far as the capacitor did. The reason for that is that the capacitor is meant for discharging large amounts of current in a very short amount of time where batteries for the most part discharge at a longer rate and have a good amount of power behind them as a result. Though i do not run any caps in my system i will say this.. With a good charging system quality caps can be beneficial as they can respond to the quick voltage differences and keep the voltage leveled out where a battery cannot respond to quick little differences in voltage like a cap can. That is what i experienced with my old system i had, i used a 1 farad cap like a dumbass on a 1400w amp and it could not keep up to save its life so my voltage dropped immensely until i removed the cap because i discharged the cap so fast from that large amount of current draw.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress