CE Auto Electric Supply

2600 farad capacitor bank.

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1

I use flux capacitors. Just like in back to the future.

. Lol got jokes huh

It was the only way I could get 2500 farads of cap in my cap bank. Good news is I'm only running 3kw. You would need about 5.275 of these bad boys in your rig.

Haha... Just messin with you ray.

i would say for a car system under 1500 rms you can use a battery and a capacitor that was the old school way now days as we progressed you have to upgrade your alternator put extra batteries in and more

123_zpsdd06b4db.png

i would say for a car system under 1500 rms you can use a battery and a capacitor that was the old school way now days as we progressed you have to upgrade your alternator put extra batteries in and more

No offense, but I think you're missing the point. The power that a cap can put out is limited to the amount of potential difference in the power that the cap contains and the input voltage that the amp is getting. A cap in itself will not contain enough energy to provide ample power to offset the potential difference for enough length of time to make a difference.

A battery is exponentially more powerful than a cap, and therefore can offset potential differences in the input voltage. Nothing is going to completely overcome an inadequate charging system, although a battery bank can give you reserve capacity to lessen the potential difference until the electrical demand drops low enough that the alternator can meet the demand and ultimately recharge the batteries.

Conclusion:

1.alternator with enough headroom is a must

2. followed by supporting mods (big 3, proper grounds, etc)

3. battery bank large enough to support the length of time that playing at volumes that require more power than charging system can produce

Unless, you're able to make room and pay for 2500(1F) capacitors, to be used in 30 second increments (sorry, no playing full songs)

Thanks Tony D

2011 Chevrolet Aveo(click for build log)
Clarion NX-603
SKAR 4500.1D
Iraggi 320A alt

Knukonceptz 1/0 Kollosus Fleks Cable
8 AWG Sky High Car Audio OFC

1/0- Sky High Car Audio

2- XP3000 XS Power Batteries
SMD VM-1
2- 12" Ascendant Audio Mayhems

Toolmaker Fuse block

Toolmaker Bus Bars

(Last Season scores 1-15" Mayhem)

145.2 dB- Sealed @ NSPL World Finals (9/28/14)

148.1 dB- Hardcore @ NSPL World Finals (9/27/14)

150.23-- Hardcore on 4500 Watts!!!!

New Build (2015, 2-12" Mayhems)

146.9- Sealed on dash

149.6 dB- Hardcore in Kick (No wall 0-24" Hardcore)

Mr. D - I was waiting for your input, what took ya' so long?

Now, let's say that we were playing music at clipping with our 5kw system . . . think 20ms or so on peaks. How's that math work?

Well subwoofer amplifiers are what we are talking about here, and 20ms isn't bass. Just one cycle of 50Hz is 20ms. I measured a kick drum back in the Rockford Days to be well over 100ms. I'd go as far to say, as far as modern synthetic compressed bass, anything less than a second of storage is fairly meaningless.

Edited by TonyD'Amore
  • Like (+1 Rep) 3

Corrected version:

J=(CV^2)/2 (J= joules, C=capacitance, V=voltage)

for a 1 farad capacitor on a system charging at 14.2 (voltage = random number somewhere around normal car voltage I pulled out my ass for the sake of this post)

J = 1 x (14.2x14.2) / 2

---->snip<-----

So who's buying me a 2500 farad capacitor bank?

... OUCH. thanks for the correction and further proving my point of how worthless caps are for guys like us. :cheers:

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Since the smart guys are in here I'll ask this question.

How do batteries interface with caps? Considering the low esr wouldn't a battery see a cap not at potential voltage as a short circuit?

throw some more numbers at me in a realistic situation like above

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Mr. D - I was waiting for your input, what took ya' so long?

Now, let's say that we were playing music at clipping with our 5kw system . . . think 20ms or so on peaks. How's that math work?

Well subwoofer amplifiers are what we are talking about here, and 20ms isn't bass. Just one cycle of 50Hz is 20ms. I measured a kick drum back in the Rockford Days to be well over 100ms. I'd go as far to say, as far as modern synthetic compressed bass, anything less than a second of storage is fairly meaningless.

Did you leave Rockford cause they wouldn't stop selling useless caps? I kid I kid