CE Auto Electric Supply

If you watch his previous videos it gives answer to your questions.

There's a distortion in the signal that triggers the DD-1, but it's not clipping!

I never said anything about clipping.

Guys watch Tony D'Amore's other videos to see why the distortion light is on. The Jeep has an issue with the headunit doing some stupidly low distortion at medium to high volume. But the distortion wouldn't effect the runs because every run was done exactly the same, so if it threw off one run it would do every run.

Gotcha. I didn't expect it to affect the results since it happened every single time, was just wondering what was up with the distortion light always coming on.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

In summary:

1. Quality capacitors DO work - and a few companies continue to offer them. Hint: if it's chrome, comes in a blue felt lined box, has a volt meter, and you can get it for $49 - PASS.

2. In order to achieve the best results, locate the capacitor as close to the amplifier as possible, preferably within 18 inches.

Consider that there are actually TWO voltages available in a vehicle:

1. The output voltage of the alternator (13.8 - 14.4 Volts typically)

2. The nominal voltage of the battery (12.6 - 12.7 Volts typically)

Since capacitors store charge and oppose changes in voltage, here's actually what's going on:

- The capacitor, when connected and charged, stores charge at the nominal voltage of the battery

- As the vehicle is started and runs, the capacitor INSTANTLY is able to store charge at the output voltage of the alternator

- As your amplifier draws current, it takes it from the place of least resistance - in order, that is:

1. From the capacitor (closest source of voltage, and highest voltage potential)

2. From the alternator (highest voltage potential)

3. From the battery (lower voltage potential)

Look at it like this - it's the DELTA between 14.4 and 12.6 Volts that is the deal. Why waste that 1.8 Volts of goodness when you can USE it? Keep in mind that amplifiers "gulp" current based on the frequency at which the power supply operates. This is typically 30,000 to 40,000 times per second.

Since 1986* I have personally used capacitors in my own audio systems and for good reason. I fully expected to see positive results from the addition of a capacitor. I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised at just how much bang one gets from the 1 Farad capacitor. Honestly, there is simply no reason I can think of NOT to use one.

Companies that have elected to sell inferior (IE - CRAP) capacitors have given the word capacitor a black eye. That, along with plenty of mis-information on this topic by keyboard experts, has conspired to paint a non-factual picture of the true purpose of the capacitor in car audio applications. Now that the AD-1 has proven that capacitors do indeed have their place, it's up to you to spread the word.

And FWIW, although I did not mention it in the video, the capacitors in the RF 100 Farad capacitor I showed are carbon based "supercaps" - a technology that was borrowed from the power generation industry. To the best of my knowledge, they were the first of their kind available in the car audio industry. Now, they are but a distant memory.

* Yes, 1986 - that is no misprint or exaggeration! Only Wayne Harris beat me to it and I had no idea who he even was then.

• Like (+1 Rep) 5

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

Dang Snafu, appreciate the knowledge very much!

25d9cf71-fff8-4b67-a8f5-28c80d5ea859_zps7d3fe7f6-90c4-4939-b709-43f0e5812212_zps

2018 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback (build in progress)

NVX Sound Deadener (Front Doors)
Stinger FAST Rings

Stock Electrical

SSA Evil 6.5's Front Speakers
Stock rear speakers

MB Quart ONX4.80 speaker amp
Rockford Fosgate T-1500bdcp
DC Level 4 12" D1 @ 2-ohm
Box In Design Stage
Stock Radio
My Build Log

ill pass this on as much as I can. I personally have been using a 10farad Rockford cap for a while now and I can hear a difference with and with out it. not to mention a good amount more voltage drop with out the cap.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Well after seeing the results of this I'm going to build myself an 850 farad cap bank and see what sort of results I get.

Tony C, Tony D, Juan, Steve: If you want to do some testing with it let me know. I'd be curious to see what sort of results you'd get on the dyno going with something even bigger

Okay. Can we now get that same test, but instead of cap and no cap test....

now cap (parallel with front batt) ___VS___ same price/value battery test. (parallel with front bat)

I dont think legit builders rule out caps cause their crap, they rule them out cause batts cost less and are better in their bigger builds (5K+)

10 farad fosgate = $453 . vs xs power xp 3000 = $489

These are prices directly from their sites...

Now as a secondary power reserve. wouldnt the XS 3000 be more effective than a 10 farad cap ? and they cost near the same...

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Okay. Can we now get that same test, but instead of cap and no cap test....

now cap (parallel with front batt) ___VS___ same price/value battery test. (parallel with front bat)

I dont think legit builders rule out caps cause their crap, they rule them out cause batts cost less and are better in their bigger builds (5K+)

10 farad fosgate = $453 . vs xs power xp 3000 = $489

These are prices directly from their sites...

Now as a secondary power reserve. wouldnt the XS 3000 be more effective than a 10 farad cap ? and they cost near the same...

you have to remember cost of shipping to. that cap is way less in weight and shipping will be a good amount cheaper. plus the amount of room the caps take up compared to the batts.

then in snafu's last post he said

- As your amplifier draws current, it takes it from the place of least resistance - in order, that is:

1. From the capacitor (closest source of voltage, and highest voltage potential)

2. From the alternator (highest voltage potential)

3. From the battery (lower voltage potential)

now isn't it a plus to get your power from something only 18" or less from you amp compared to the alt at the front of the car? or the batts that have a lower voltage potential?

this thread isn't about caps vs batts. its about showing proof that caps do work and make a difference. the benefit of a cap like all audio installs is install dependent. the 1 farad per 1k watts is a general guideline, its not necessarily the golden rule to it.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Why is 1F per 1k the guideline?

I don't know, its just what 90% of people that use caps go buy. Im running a 1500.1bdcp and a 400.4 so no more then 2k rms and have a 10 farad cap. also have a 250 amp singer alt and ill have a small batt bank to.

going by the 1k watts per farad rule I have an extra 8 farads... I think that 1 farad per 500 watts would be a better guideline though.

Edited by alaskanzx5

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets