Second Skin Audio

should i port my box?

Rockford96

I built my box for 2 12s its 2.5 cubed feet. Its sealed now but i intended to do two 3" pvc ports 8" long tuned to 37hz .14 port area should i port it? Im jist worryed about it not sounding good its fir pioneer tsw309d4 thanks guys any input appriciated!

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

2.5 cubes and only 2 3" ports will sound terrible. You've got airspace and you have to make sure to satisfy port area per foot. With 2 3" ports, youre only getting 5.80 sq inches per foot. I'm running 2 3" ports at a lot longer than 8"(more like 18") in 1.5 cubic feet and its tuned to 33. More planning and paying around have to be done.

Post dimensions of your box and I'll help you with this.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

2.5 cubes and only 2 3" ports will sound terrible. You've got airspace and you have to make sure to satisfy port area per foot. With 2 3" ports, youre only getting 5.80 sq inches per foot. I'm running 2 3" ports at a lot longer than 8"(more like 18") in 1.5 cubic feet and its tuned to 33. More planning and paying around have to be done.

Post dimensions of your box and I'll help you with this.

ok thank you thats why i didnt do ir yet i wanted more input the nox is tope depth 4.5 bd 8.5 width 45 height is 18the those arent excact bur close im at school now and cand meause but i already have 4ft of 3 in pvc so i would like to use that could i do 3 3"pvc ports? Thank you!

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Those dimensions are 2.09 feet before displacements, not enough for 2 12s in my opinion. 2 4" ports for about the space you're needing and wanting would work better. You need more airspace to work with. So if you HAVE that box built, sealed for the 2 12s, leave it sealed until you want an all new design and attempt a ported box. For the desired 2.5 cubes though, I'd recommend 2 4" ports LONG, like 20-24" depending on desired tuning(shorter if you really want 37Hz).

P.S. Based on those dimensions, if you cut the 48" if PVC into equal lengths, you'd get 3-18" sections. Those plugged into your box dimensions leaves you 1.85 cubic feet tuned to 39.5. When you add displacement of the subs, you've got around 1.6 cubic feet left and around 42Hz tuning.

Where can we find more airspace?

Those dimensions are 2.09 feet before displacements, not enough for 2 12s in my opinion. 2 4" ports for about the space you're needing and wanting would work better. You need more airspace to work with. So if you HAVE that box built, sealed for the 2 12s, leave it sealed until you want an all new design and attempt a ported box. For the desired 2.5 cubes though, I'd recommend 2 4" ports LONG, like 20-24" depending on desired tuning(shorter if you really want 37Hz).

P.S. Based on those dimensions, if you cut the 48" if PVC into equal lengths, you'd get 3-18" sections. Those plugged into your box dimensions leaves you 1.85 cubic feet tuned to 39.5. When you add displacement of the subs, you've got around 1.6 cubic feet left and around 42Hz tuning.

Where can we find more airspace?

ok thank you alot glad i asked before i did it yes the box is sealed and its made out of. 5 mdf should of said that but ill leave it sealed for now i can go to 55 wide its behind the seat if a single cab i just eanted to have space for my amps but thank you for your help! You saved me the trouble of cutting the holes and then is sounding terrible thanks again

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

10s ported work better in that airspace. I saw the Flareside Ford as your avatar so I figured we were dealing with a regular cab. I have experience with those :)

Let me know if you want any help or have any ideas to bounce back and forth. I had a '95 F-150 regular cab Eddie Bauer and loved that truck. I didnt love the 5.8 and how much it liked to guzzle gas. The truck sure did tow anything though :)

If you go around 52" in width, and maybe 6" top depth and 9 bottom, we could really do a great sounding box.

10s ported work better in that airspace. I saw the Flareside Ford as your avatar so I figured we were dealing with a regular cab. I have experience with those :)

Let me know if you want any help or have any ideas to bounce back and forth. I had a '95 F-150 regular cab Eddie Bauer and loved that truck. I didnt love the 5.8 and how much it liked to guzzle gas. The truck sure did tow anything though :)

If you go around 52" in width, and maybe 6" top depth and 9 bottom, we could really do a great sounding box.

awesome thank you for your help i had the 12s already so thats what i had to work with i would love to get some sundown e10s i love the truck though just gor it last week its my first car its got the 5.0 not terrible on gas but not great i love fords older trucks thanks for the help! Ill om u if i have any more questions

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Archived