Singer Alternator - Install with pics - Clamp Test Results for DC5K and Singer Alt

Did you send in your stock alt and have it painted?

what's your deal man? I loved your build log with the murdered out 10s or 12s and now all I see you post is trash about DC and singer

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

Got everything hooked up. I'm afraid to start my car. I don't have to worry about relays and electronics f-ing up right?

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

Completed install pics:

gatesbelt-singer-alternator.jpg

So many connections:

xsd2400.jpg

so-much-crap.jpg

Trunk battery:

trunk-battery.jpg

The ghetto pillow somewhat sealing the air holes :)

air-gap-filler.jpg

Crimp Job (I can't remember which picture but one of them I had to double crimp lol)

Diyma CCA wire

ghetto-crimp1.jpg

ghetto-crimp2.jpg

ghetto-crimp3.jpg

I like my knuknonceptz Flex OFC wire better. Here's a picture of the Knu wire: Nice and compact!

crimp5.JPG

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I've ran the clamp test on the Singer Alternator. The 2k+ rpm output was pretty nice but the idle output was less than half of what I was hoping for. I'm going to try and tighten the belt some more and run another test tomorrow.

40hz @ 0dB test tone. 10-20 second burp at full tilt starting from lowest volume and going up to full volume and leaving it there for 4 seconds.

The numbers are not in any particular order because I wrote them in my notebook all over the place; hence, the increase amperage after each run.

Clamp meter used: Craftsman professional. I clamped both the stock and my 0 gauge power wire 5 inches from alternator.

Results at idle rpm:

1st run: 51A DC

2nd run: 54A DC

3rd run: 58.8A DC

4th 60A DC

@ 2k-2.7K RPM

1st run: 208A DC

2nd run: 182.6A DC

3rd run: 184.6A DC

4th run: 202A DC

I'm pretty content with the 2k rpm output but need to work on increasing my idle output to 120-130A to where it should be outputting.

Again, it might take some time for all the new parts to break in for that idle output to increase and I will be tightening the belt to see if it adds any improvements.

Also, if anyone knows how to bump up the idled rpm a little higher in my car let me know. That could be a last resort.

Pretty bad ass alt so far! I'm able to play songs i've never been able to play at full tilt before.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DC 5K Clamp Test results

New results with video here:

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/158361-dc5k-clamp-test-5602watts-video-inside/

------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: DC5K clamp results may not be accurate because I can't remember if I clamped my positive speaker wire or my power wires :(

I will redo the clamp test for the DC5K tomorrow.

Here were my numbers when I was tuning the DC 5K with an oscope.

40hz @0dB test tone.

I turned the gain until I got 66.8V.

Power = (V^2) / R

Power = (66.8*66.8)/0.8

Power = 4462/0.8

Power = 5577 Watts

I then switched the track to a different test tone dB level.

40hz @ -5dB test tone:

Voltage reading: 37.2V

Power = 1729Watts.

Am I only feeding both subs a total of 1729 watts then when playing normal music?

The final resistance reading from my sub output was ~0.7 to 0.8 ohms. I am 90% sure the XLM2's are dual 0.7 voice coils. I will check the voice coils again later to make sure. There might have been a mix up when the subs got shipped (I ordered 1ohm voice coils). No biggie though I'll just deal with whatever I have.

What are you wired to ohm wise? Cuz your clamp results show that it has a reactive impedance of .7 ohms, so if you are wired higher than that you most likely are off somewhere.

I've gotten a blowjob and picked up my iphone behind her back to see what email notification I got from smd before

What are you wired to ohm wise? Cuz your clamp results show that it has a reactive impedance of .7 ohms, so if you are wired higher than that you most likely are off somewhere.

I"m wired for 1ohm.

The weird, thing is, when I received the subs, I tested the voice coils and they were reading 0.7ohms. I ordered 1ohm sub voice coils but what I got were 0.7ohms.

I asked DC Audio if they were certain that I got the correct subs and they said yes they shipped me dual 1 ohm voice coil subs. I'm starting to suspect they shipped me the wrong subs.

Check your final ohm load

My final ohm load at the speaker box is 0.8Ohms.

Again, I think corona_jeff sent me the wrong coiled subs. Because I sent him a PM's on the 16 September 2012

asking him if he sent me dual 1ohm voice coil versions of the XL m2's and he said yes. But I remember checking the subs before putting them into the box and I was getting a 0.7ohm reading.

I remember chatting with CJ and he was recommending the 0.7ohm subs but when I went to order, I wanted the dual 1ohm coils.

The hell is going on :(

i had a singer alt that would make power at normal operating rpm but at idle it was a complete turd. May i ask what your charging voltage is at idle. My car idled high at like 1000-1100 and the alt still wouldnt turn on. Seems to be an on going problem. I came in here thinking oh god "this black thing" and "this big water house" scared the shit out of me lol. Im glad you actually had a set of nuts to do it yourself. Grats on a good install i hope you get your alt issue fixed!

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

i had a singer alt that would make power at normal operating rpm but at idle it was a complete turd. May i ask what your charging voltage is at idle. My car idled high at like 1000-1100 and the alt still wouldnt turn on. Seems to be an on going problem. I came in here thinking oh god "this black thing" and "this big water house" scared the shit out of me lol. Im glad you actually had a set of nuts to do it yourself. Grats on a good install i hope you get your alt issue fixed!

I had the exact same problem with mine.

2007 M/T Honda Civic Coupe EX

(4) Sundown Audio X-8's

(2) Ampere Audio 3800.1's

(3) Stinger SPV-44 Batteries

(1) Mechman 240

3:1 Ratio 4th order sealed from the trunk

TEAM NWSPL

Best termlab scores to date in Honda trunk:
151.7db legal (official) IASCA trunk 3 class

Best termlab scores to date in my walled Subie:
152.9db legal (unofficial) IASCA advanced 2 class