New Woofer question

I just recently bought a skar vvx-12 d4 from the end of the year sale. Just got it hooked up today and rode around bumpin for a bit. I noticed a very faint coil smell. Is this normal for a new woofer? Equipment is in my sig. I have no way to tell If I'm clipping but the sub nor the amp were hot, only barely warm.

Amp settings:

LPF: 40 hz ( Lowest it will go)

Subsonic: About 28-30 hz I think ( range is 5-50 hz and its set a little over half)

Gain: A tad over a 1/4

Bass Boost: Completely off

Bass Boost Frequency: Completely off

HU settings:

LPF: 70 hz

HPF (Front and Back): 150hz

Subwoofer Level: 15/15

Bass Boost: Off

Car: 2000 Ford Focus 4 door

HU: Kenwood KDC-X395

Front Highs: stock

Back Mids: Stock

Subs: Skar VVX-12 ( 1.79 f3 tuned to 32 hz)

Amp:Audiopipe APSM 1500 mini

Wiring: KnuKoncepts Kolossus 4awg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is your LPF at 40hz? The means it can only play under 40, and if your subsonic is at 30, your sub is only playing 30 to 40hz.

I just realized this lmao. Will set the lpf to 70 tomorrow. Had a long ass day

A little smell is normal, but why do you have your LPF so low. Around 80ish is where most set, at 40 your missing a lot of bass.

Couldn't you hear most of your bass was chopped?

Man I type way too slow.

Edited by poorfish88

They'll stink for a few then you'll be fine till you clip the hell out of it.

Thanks man. I I figured it was ok. I bumped for a good 2 hours and it didnt get any stronger, just thought I would double check

A little smell is normal, but why do you have your LPF so low. Around 80ish is where most set, at 40 your missing a lot of bass.

Couldn't you hear most of your bass was chopped?

Man I type way too slow.

It was an honest mistake. I had a long ass day and It has been over a year since I've heard any bass, but yes it did sound a little weird.

Set your gains properly, depending on the input voltage from the RCA's, you could still be clipping. And I really never heard of new woofers having coil smell. Mine never did.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Set your gains properly, depending on the input voltage from the RCA's, you could still be clipping. And I really never heard of new woofers having coil smell. Mine never did.

RCA voltage is 4 volts. I have no way to set the gain accurately. I can get a hold of a dmm but I have read that it is not a great way to set your gains

RCA voltage is 4 volts. I have no way to set the gain accurately. I can get a hold of a dmm but I have read that it is not a great way to set your gains

It is better than by ear by far. I used a DMM for the longest and never blew my subs. Use a DMM, and get the voltage that is stated you need, and just back off a tad. That is what I always did until I got my DD-1.
On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm