to fuse or not to fuse, that is the question

Its simple really ... the fuse will pop in overcurrent, not because of voltage ... that's why they call them a "so n so" amp fuse ...

Your volt meter monitors something TOTALLY different than what a fuse monitors ... I thought I made that perfectly clear with my first post in this thread ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

The Fuse is there mainly to protect your equipment from the battery. If something goes wrong and goes into overcurrent or a direct short happens, the fuse will pop when it goes past it's current limitations ... It does not care about voltage in any way, plain and simple

If there is no fuse between your battery and your equipment when something like this happens ... to the battery, its like giving a kid all the candy in the store he can eat ...

That battery source will give ALL ITS GOT until it dies ... something is going to give, and its not going to be your battery. overcurrent produces heat, things are going to warm up and if not taken care of quickly, something is going to catch on fire ...

That is basic Electronics knowledge ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

im gonna be getting some expensive car audio stuff in 2 weeks

ill be ordering 1/0 gauge wire from knu 4 the amps

but ive heard bad things about their fuses

4 me 2 fuse everything right i would need 8 of them

and thats not including the remote and voltmeters

so itd be a little more than $50 4 quality stuff i think

im thinking of getting a fancy battery terminal

do any of them come with fuses built in?

ive heard anl is the way 2 go but idk

and yes, the risk of fire is a good reason 2 fuse

but after 2yrs of running no fuses with no problems

im wondering what would trigger this fire/wire melting?

try 2 learn something new everyday, its good 4 u

thanks 2 everyone 4 input

The fire could start from metal chafing the sheath around the wire. (That's why you use grommets when going through the fire wall, so the metal doesn't cut into the wire)Once the wire is exposed to bare metal, it will draw extreme amounts of amps through the wire, heating up the wire red hot. The the red hot wire will burn through the sheath. Then set interior on fire and BAM. Car fire.

Another case is if something shorts out inside the amp, it could cause the wire coming into contact with the metal on the car.

Here are some good looking fuse holders. I bought 3 of them. They look to be the same quality as the lower line of shok. I will let you know how they look in person once I receive them.

http://www.ebay.com/...-AWG-ANL-FUSE-H

OLDER-/150916386387?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Fuses_Fuse_Holders&hash=item

2323514e53

thanks alot i appreciate it

ur link doesnt work btw :(

Its simple really ... the fuse will pop in overcurrent, not because of voltage ... that's why they call them a "so n so" amp fuse ...

Your volt meter monitors something TOTALLY different than what a fuse monitors ... I thought I made that perfectly clear with my first post in this thread ...

no u did not say anything about the fuse reading something diff than volts

thats all new 2 me thanks tho

disclaimer if your choosing not 2 read the entire thread:

i have already said im going 2 fuse my upcoming build

i have decided this because

i learned that electrical fire can happen randomly with car audio

and it can happen when the cars not on

thanks 4 those educational posts guys

**actin bad like a kid at six flags**

You are correct ... I reread it. Sorry bro, my mistake

im gonna be getting some expensive car audio stuff in 2 weeks

ill be ordering 1/0 gauge wire from knu 4 the amps

but ive heard bad things about their fuses

4 me 2 fuse everything right i would need 8 of them

and thats not including the remote and voltmeters

so itd be a little more than $50 4 quality stuff i think

im thinking of getting a fancy battery terminal

do any of them come with fuses built in?

ive heard anl is the way 2 go but idk

and yes, the risk of fire is a good reason 2 fuse

but after 2yrs of running no fuses with no problems

im wondering what would trigger this fire/wire melting?

try 2 learn something new everyday, its good 4 u

thanks 2 everyone 4 input

The fire could start from metal chafing the sheath around the wire. (That's why you use grommets when going through the fire wall, so the metal doesn't cut into the wire)Once the wire is exposed to bare metal, it will draw extreme amounts of amps through the wire, heating up the wire red hot. The the red hot wire will burn through the sheath. Then set interior on fire and BAM. Car fire.

Another case is if something shorts out inside the amp, it could cause the wire coming into contact with the metal on the car.

Here are some good looking fuse holders. I bought 3 of them. They look to be the same quality as the lower line of shok. I will let you know how they look in person once I receive them.

http://www.ebay.com/...-AWG-ANL-FUSE-H

OLDER-/150916386387?pt=US_Car_Audio_Video_Fuses_Fuse_Holders&hash=item

2323514e53

thanks alot i appreciate it

ur link doesnt work btw :(

no u did not say anything about the fuse reading something diff than volts

thats all new 2 me thanks tho

disclaimer if your choosing not 2 read the entire thread:

i have already said im going 2 fuse my upcoming build

i have decided this because

i learned that electrical fire can happen randomly with car audio

and it can happen when the cars not on

thanks 4 those educational posts guys

Fixed it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/150916386387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

School wouldn't let be view ebay. So I figured that link would work. Because it said this __^_ url is blocked. So I copied and pasted that one.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I use fuses so that if one of the power wires rubs through and shorts out or something, it won't create a loop allowing the power from the battery to essentially flow unobstructed.

Please use a fuse, for safety's sake. Put the fuse as close to the battery positive as possible.

I made the mistake of not fusing something once and it was not a fun experience. It's not like you can turn off the car and it stops: it keeps going until you eliminate the short or your battery drains.

It doesn't happen slow either - at least not in my case. Had some 14ga wire going to my volt meter short out and it was only 3-5 seconds before the car was full of smoke

Only time I didn't fuse was when my 7.5k was only 6" away from my batteries, trying to get all I could from it.

Oh, and my alt to batt 1/0 is not fused, but if that somehow shorts, i've been in a pretty bad wreck already LOL.

Always fuse front to back runs at both ends. And now that im not going for numbers, all amps are fused at the battery and the amp, even though the amps have onboard fusing.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Oh: and unless you are drawing the most current your wire can handle, I'd say to use a smaller fuse that's only a slight bit larger than your current draw. Like my wires going to my volt meter (which are now fused) only have a 1a fuse on them.

The big ANL fuses are "slow blow" fuses. Which means that they won't blow immediately if you exceed the current they are rated for. It will take a couple second.

Think of it like the fuses for transformers - the transformer can short out and it will spark and be all nasty for a good 30 second before the fuse blows (that's the big bang you hear)

Archived