Sundown Audio

2013 Hifonics BRZ Line

iwannabeloud

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not hating on hifonics. If I was, I would have never said they were good budget amps.

I'm hating on the features and things related to them, such as the huge markup frys puts on them, blue lights, etc. (and now the angled terminals just makes my opinion of them worse)

I would still run a hifonics amp just to see how it holds up, since a lot of people run them. I just feel, from making a thread asking about the brand mostly, that they are one step above not being worth running, and that says a lot to me.

I wouldnt have so much to say if they WEREN'T MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY THAT MAKES CRUNCH.

I doubt anyone would make up a review on the powerzone amp about it catching on fire. (search powerzone or pzi on sonic). Makes you think about the build quality of the hifonics amps when they make stuff like this. This is one reason I dislike hifonics. Same goes for other brands that make garbage products. Sure they have good stuff, but it's way too over priced. So dont think this is purely hifonics hate. Many other companies do this.

and about the VVME: it was $60, it suits my needs, and I was interested in helping contribute to the community. But that Is another thread. Although they are on par with the budget build category that hifonics holds, don't you think?

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

The angled terminals are made for ease of wiring actually. most installers will run their wiring up from below. through a false floor or at the very least from under the amps. The angled terminals allow for it to be wired without two inches of wiring and the undue stress of a bend tossed in there. Its actually a good idea.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

The angled terminals are made for ease of wiring actually. most installers will run their wiring up from below. through a false floor or at the very least from under the amps. The angled terminals allow for it to be wired without two inches of wiring and the undue stress of a bend tossed in there. Its actually a good idea.

but for 99% of people who do their own installs or terrible work (like mahshelf)

it puts a severe bend on the wire, and i mean severe bend, when you dont go under the carpet.

im letting my cousin borrow my BRZ 1200 in his chevy sonic 2013.

he refused to let me do any sort of beauty panel, cutting or anything. only adding.

bitch puts one hell of a bend on that wire.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

so stick a spacer under each amp run the wires underneath and then up. A set of nylon spacers is 3 bucks at lowes. Or heres an idea. Pick an amp that suits your application not your price point. If you know its not going to work dont buy it. I cant remember the last time I mounted an amp flat on a surface without any space underneath it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Not to start a war or anything but for those of you saying you hate hifonics and would never run them is there a true reason? Have you ever run them? Or do you hate them because they have lights and because they make other brands that you hate? Or because youve heard stories of them? Ill admit they not be the greatest amps but the good lines they do have (brutus collosus brutus elite) are still some damn good amps. The "don't judge a book my its cover" pops up in my head. I run the brz 1700 and if I had the money I'd get the new one. Current one is at sonic for rma on the bass knob or something. But I've ran that amp hard as hell the last 7+ months and it took every second of it like a champ and never got hot never failed. They are a great budget amp and really arent power hungry like everyone seems to say they are. What if I said I hate one of the respected brands on here because they are built in the same build house as a POS amp? Same thing. Don't knock them unless youve tried them personally. But it does depend on the application for those angled terminals. They can be good or bad just depends.

End rant.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

Where an amp is made has no relation to quality IMO.

Sundown Or whoever could simply buy better quality parts and have the same supplier that makes a bunch of different stuff assemble it (just my guess)

As far as hating on them or saying I will never run them: like you said, they are great budget amps.

Part of it for me is the fact that the amps are always flashy and not classy. Take dc or dd amps as an example. No chrome, no lights. No "cool" stuff. Just a straight design with "dc" or "dd" engraved or silk screened on.

It's part of the reason I chose to get older Sony xm amps over anything new.

And I bring up the lights aspect again: its just "bling" for people who want to show off. And no offense to any die hard or experienced hifonics users, but almost all of the pics or videos I see with hifonics are messy. And this is in my opinion, due to the fact that when you have a fairly cheap amp available at your local electronics store, you don't exactly have enthusiasts buying and running them.

It's this same concept with dual illuminated plexiglass band pass "competition" subs available at walmart or wherever else that makes me not like the lights on this new line of hifonics as well as the old line.

As far as angled terminals, yes it does seem like a nice feature if your running wires under a false floor. But how many people running hifonics have you seem actually take the effort to do that vs any other amp that cost more and has standard straight terminals?

It seems like another gimmick to make hifonics seem better than they are/add another "feature" to the list. I don't think anyone has ever had an issue with straight terminals on any amp to justify this. I personally think it does more harm than good. I see no issue with a 90° at the terminal and into the false floor or whatever else the wires are being ran through. Worst case scenario would be having to extend the wires out a bit more to ease the tension...and we are only talking an inch...

But n8 makes a good point. I just dont see many high quality installs with hifonics. It seems rather silly to me...

overall I would just say they are good budget amps and leave it at that. But certainly nothing to brag about,,,or look forward too.

And again, what really gets to me is the fact they proudly put their name on crunch and autuotek.

Not sure about mb quart. Isn't there a high end brand named mb quartz or is it just one brand? I could have swarn there is a high end SQ brand with a similar name.

2010 HHR LT - DNX 6160 - sony xec-700 - sony xm-4040 for door mids - XM-6020 for tweets in a-pillar - saz1500d v1 - VVME RD-12 1.75 f^3 32hz

guru and president of the "cheap asses trying to beat up the block with bargain bin woofers" club

Archived