What are you running on stock alternator?

I am curious to what the most draw on the stock alternator that there has been. Trying to decide if I can get away with just upgrading batteries for now, and get a H/O alternator down the road. Plus I think it would be cool to see what the biggest system on stock alternator has been.

Try to include:

Amps put out by the stock alternator

The batteries used

What amplifiers

Voltage drop while going full tilt

If the big 3 (4,5 etc) has been done

If there has been multiple runs of 1/0

Any other information that would that would be beneficial to know would be great.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to contribute, but do not have all of the data your asking for.

Stock alternator : 150 amps

Battery: Die Hard stock size for car

Amp: Crescendo BC3500d

Big 3: NO

Wiring: 300amp fuse- 1 run of 1/0 and one run of 4 ga. (when I was running the 1/0, I said well hell, might as well leave the 4ga there and use it. more copper=better

The highest clamp I have done was 2100w which im sure is all my electrical system can support. Now at the same time, I did not clamp it at any frequency below 40hz, so it could likely be higher on a 35 hz tone around the tuning of the barrel.

Note: When I first got the amp, I had only the 4 ga for 2 days, and was waiting on my 1/0 to show up in the mail, I also only had a 125 amp fuse on the amp, I could not pop the fuse, the wire would not let enough current go through to allow the amp to blow it. So technically the amp could have only produce approx. around 1,500w tops off that wire and 125 amp fuse.

So, so far, off of my stock electrical, leaving voltage drop out, if i go based off of 12.5v, I've carried approx 168 amps to the amp.

then if I went based off of an idle at 13.8, thats approx 152 amps. (again leaving out voltage drop)

So in my theory, and very little recorded data, I can tell pretty accurately that I only get about as many amps as my alternator can produce back to the amp.

Edit:

Also, I am in the process of picking out battery power and a 300amp alternator for this season,

XS-power1.jpg

Alt: 140 amp

Batts: Xs 3000xp and 5100

Amps: Dc 3.5k and stock Mids highs amp(300 watts iirc)

Big 3 done

1 pos and 1 neg run to back batt

Max voltage drop is a little under 13v surprisingly

1997 Trans Am WS6

Pioneer DEH-P5200HD

2 DC Level 4 M2 12s

4 cubes tuned to about 34hz

DC 3.5k

1/0 Welding Supply Ultra Flex

Stock 140A alt

Stinger Fuses & Fuse Holders

XS Power D5100

XS Power XP3000

Wiring: 300amp fuse- 1 run of 1/0 and one run of 4 ga. (when I was running the 1/0, I said well hell, might as well leave the 4ga there and use it. more copper=better

The highest clamp I have done was 2100w which im sure is all my electrical system can support. Now at the same time, I did not clamp it at any frequency below 40hz, so it could likely be higher on a 35 hz tone around the tuning of the barrel.

Note: When I first got the amp, I had only the 4 ga for 2 days, and was waiting on my 1/0 to show up in the mail, I also only had a 125 amp fuse on the amp, I could not pop the fuse, the wire would not let enough current go through to allow the amp to blow it. So technically the amp could have only produce approx. around 1,500w tops off that wire and 125 amp fuse.

So, so far, off of my stock electrical, leaving voltage drop out, if i go based off of 12.5v, I've carried approx 168 amps to the amp.

then if I went based off of an idle at 13.8, thats approx 152 amps. (again leaving out voltage drop)

So in my theory, and very little recorded data, I can tell pretty accurately that I only get about as many amps as my alternator can produce back to the amp.

Edit:

Also, I am in the process of picking out battery power and a 300amp alternator for this season,

That's a nice stock alt. Mine is only a 90A.

But still, running 3500w off stock electrical is pretty awesome, even if your not getting full power out of it. iirc I saw someone on here that was running around 5k, but had like 2 or 3 xs batteries.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

110alt

1000.bd RF power

400.4 RF power

stock batt up front xs power 1200 in back 0g front to back 4g to amps

full tilt drops to 12.8 and no big3 yet

running 2sa8v.2

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74

LOL I was reading your post and then I was like "wtf - what barrel???" but then I realised it was YOU lol. haha.

LOL, yea, i gotta quit calling it a box, cause a box it is not.. LOL

Edit:

That's a nice stock alt. Mine is only a 90A.

But still, running 3500w off stock electrical is pretty awesome, even if your not getting full power out of it. iirc I saw someone on here that was running around 5k, but had like 2 or 3 xs batteries.

Yea man, my first step is getting a 120lb northstar battery, Im working on that now, I will see what that bastard puts out then, the battery is 7000-8000 cranking amps. I ran one back in the day. We will see hwo much better that is, then go for the alt. Im kinda doing this one step at a time to have the enjoyment of watching the increases, and testing, I like to piddle around.

XS-power1.jpg

Alt: 130A

Oreilly Super Start Extreme

AQ 2200

MB Quart ONX4.80

Voltage drop lowest Ive seen is 12.49V

NO big 3,

NO 0ga.

Running Knu 4ga from battery to 2200 and from battery to MB Quart

300A fuse for 2200

100A fuse for MB Quart

Also have LED lighting for underbody, wheel wells, under the hood, bed, 2 15" monitors, and HID headlights.

Archived