Universal Wheels??? Urban Myth!!!!

I have been a tire technician for about 9 years now and a lot of people come in my shop and say "Hey i got these Universal Wheels that i got from a friend of mine and i wanna put them on my car." When i tell them there is no such thing as a "UNIVERSAL WHEEL" they give me the puzzled look! I'm going to give you guys who are looking for wheels a little knowledge on bolt patterns.

The Bolt Pattern (PCD) is the number of wheel studs of the vehicle and the spacing from the center stud to the next. For example a Dodge Charger has a bolt pattern of 5x115mm meaning that the vehicle has 5 wheel studs and each stud is 115mm away from the adjacent stud.

Here is where a lot of people get confused. They purchase a set of wheels with TEN lug holes and think that it will fit ANY five lug vehicle which is not the case. The proper term is DUAL DRILLED meaning that that wheel is drilled for TWO different auto makes. Example: A wheel that has a bolt pattern of 5x115 and 5x120 will fit a vehicle that has a 5x115 bolt pattern AND a vehicle with a 5x120 bolt pattern but NO OTHER BOLT PATTERN!

I'll take it a step futher. Let's say that you have a dual drilled wheel that has a bolt pattern of 5x115mm( lug pattern of most passenger vehicles) and a 5x112mm (lug pattern for Mercedes) The difference between the spacing of the studs is 3mm. So could you put the 5x115 bolt pattern on a 5x112 car? NO! The 3mm makes a big difference. The lug nuts (or lug bolts) will not seat to the wheel properly and could cause the wheel to come off while driving!!!

97' TAHOE AS SHE SITS....

Powermaster 220 Amp Alt

Kinetic 1400h Batteries (x2)

DB Drive A4 1600.4

DB Drive S7 6.5 Coaxials (x4)

"BIG 3"

GOIN IN...

Powermaster 220 Amp Alt

Kinetic 1400h Batteries (x4)

Soundstream Tarantula TX1.2600D (x2)

Sundown Audio SA15D4 (x4)

"BIG OL' 4TH"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for posting this. Nothing like seeing ads for "universal wheels" on Craigslist all the time, I always wondered if the owners of those wheels bought them under the same pretenses then realized they couldn't use them.

I'm gonna hate

thank you!!!!! I am SICK of seeing "universal" 5 lug in every damn wheel ad i see!!!!!!!!!!!!! I called the other day about some NIB 24s. "what's the lug pattern" i said. "Universal 5 lug" was his reply. so I said "oh, so these will fit every 5 lug vehicle ever made?" "umm... no, just dodge chargers, and other cars like that" I hung up!! Fucking idiots!!!

Man I'm glad I didn't lock this I get to witness two retards holding hands telling each other that it'll be ok because they are awesome.

i worked at a tire shop for years, we get these idiots aswell lol

last time we had a cadi with 22s, the holes in the wheels were ovals not circles SMH

i hate the double drilled wheels where bolt bolt patterns seem to fit but one is right and one is wrong, gotta break out the measuring tool

The closest thing I could think of to a universal wheel is a multipiece wheel with interchangeable centers for different lug configurations. But that being said I would never run it because having that much side torque on some bolts sounds like a bad idea

I've seen some wheels that will fit 2 different lug spacings, but nothing truly universal.

Kind of like this

58067d1132024706-4-brand-new-wheel-b-s-1

i worked at a tire shop for years, we get these idiots aswell lol

last time we had a cadi with 22s, the holes in the wheels were ovals not circles SMH

i hate the double drilled wheels where bolt bolt patterns seem to fit but one is right and one is wrong, gotta break out the measuring tool

you don't work at DT anymore???

Man I'm glad I didn't lock this I get to witness two retards holding hands telling each other that it'll be ok because they are awesome.

Archived