So I've been getting pretty sick of this fluery of games that have tried to implement some sort of lag compensation or some sort of game "evening" strategy that ends up ruining the game because of terrible hit detection and giving the advantage to the 5 year old spawn raper/camper/spammer. I especially hate how despite how good your internet connection may be, your xbox seems reluctant to make use of it all, so the kid with comcast 15mb plays as well as you somehow. If you have a separate modem/router then it probably isn't much of a problem if you directly hooked into the modem but I'm not really sure about all that because everything I have experimented with has been on a combined modem/router ActionTec M1424WR Rev.1 from Verizon FIOS on 75/35 with about 9-10ms ping.

2472126830.png

Now; this is my test with my mom's computer and laptop connected and busy, and my PC also on and busy, notice the drastic upload change and ping increase:

2474551910.png

To access your internet settings you have to find the router/modem in your network devices and I double click on mine and it opens up a webpage with a login and that gives me full access to all of the features and settings, I'm not sure what you have to do if using a different setup

I have an xbox with direct ethernet into my actiontec and I noticed the other day that it said NAT was moderate for the first time, despite being OPEN forever before that. so to the google machine I went. There are many suggestions online and many people have said that certain things either improve or unimproved connection, from the things I experimented with, here is what I have found to work.

1. Set up a static IP address and change the DNS Servers. to do this go to the routers settings website

-Then go to My Network

-Then go to Network Connections on the left

-Then go to Network (Home/Office)

-Then click settings at the bottom

-Scroll down to "End IP Address and change the last number to 200

while you are here go to DNS Server and select No DNS Server

-Click apply to finalize the change

-Next at the Network Connections screen click on Broadband Connection (Ethernet) or (Coax) whichever one says connected

-Go to settings

-Scroll down to DNS Servers and select "Use the following DNS server addresses"

-Find the best servers (I used namebench which worked great) then enter new DNS addresses (put link below)

http://code.google.c...3.1-Windows.exe

-Next turn on your xbox and go to network settings and enter a manual IP address with the last number being anything above 200 on my xbox the IP address is 192.168.1.201 the first three numbers depend on the routers IP address and will be the same for every device connected to the router. Also manually enter the DNS addresses that you are using

2. I recommend setting your xbox as the DMZ Host, I've heard it doesn't do anything if you do QoS and port forward, but I did anyway.

just go to firewall settings and click DMZ Host on the left and enter the IP address of the xbox

Warning: this puts the DMZ host outside of the firewall

3. Next set up port forwarding for xbox live forward (this may be useless if you set up DMZ but i don't know if it can hurt)

make sure you use the IP address that you gave to your xbox

You'll see places to put different #'s:

YOU WILL HAVE TO SEARCH FOR THE BEST #'s, people will post them so google it, it's different for different games.

4. Set up Quality of Service rules (QoS) (this part can be confusing, so just pay attention when doing it)

-Probably makes the most noticeable improvement

Here is a link from actiontec which very clearly explains how to do this, again it will be different for different people with different modems, routers, ISP's and whatnot, but hopefully this gives you and idea if possible.

http://support.actio...nfigure_QoS.pdf

IF YOUR XBOX STARTS TO HAVE CONNECTION ISSUES LIKE NOT BEING ABLE TO CONNECT AT ALL, OR YOUR INTERNET SCREWS UP, JUST RESET THEM BOTH AND IT SHOULD BE FINE.

For your XBOX: go to Network settings>configure network>advanced settings>reset to factory

Each router/modem is different so find a way to do a full reset of it to restore it. (not just unplug and plug in)

If anything doesn't make sense here it's my bad, I'm not a network guru, but trying to get my ISP to help was hopeless.

****Maybe Sheena or N8 can notify me if anything I wrote doesn't make sense? It would sure help.***

Edited by Dwn4BassAlan

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a solution: PC games.

LOL very true, very true................ but xbox has all the friends...

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

Great fucking thread Allen...

This could go somewhere....

Thanks man, I just hope something on the list can work for people. If anything they should attempt the QoS, it seems to be the most popular change.

I missed Alan.

Do you have any idea how to fix the cinavix off the ps3?

*Hummer H3*

HeadUnit

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

Mids and Highs

8-CT Sounds Pro 8" 8ohm

4-CT Sounds Pro Tweeters

Amplifiers

1-CT Sounds 125.4

1-CT Sounds 60.4

1-CT Sounds 7000.1

Electrical

3-Runs of 1/0 CT Sounds

8-XS Power D3100

3-Iraggi 300 amp Alternators

Subwoofers

4-SQ Hdc3 15" Subwoofers

(Soon to be 4 15" Ct Sounds EXO)

Ive had complete shit computers all my life until 2 years ago when i finally could afford something decent. Bought a 27" iMac and a 17" macbook pro.

Now I can faithfully say Computer gaming is very fun!

EDIT: spelling

Edited by Carbon

Ive had complete shit computers all my life until 2 years ago when i finally could afford something decent. Bought a 27" iMac and a 17" macbook pro.

Now I can faithfully say Computer gaming is very fun!

EDIT: spelling

I am ashamed to admit how much money I have spent on high end custom rigs. Now I am just down to my laptop, which is fine because it plays games too :)

I'm gonna hate

i usually set my xbox or gaming device to the DMZ device and leave the gaming device to auto retrieve the IP address and DNS.

DMZ allows ALL traffic, so anything that says NAT moderate to severe after that, is not from your end.

this is a great guide, but i would suggest just setting your xbox/ps3 for the DMZ device and it will work golden, any connection issues after that is not on your end.

09 Civic EX

KDC-X395

(2) SKAR Audio VVX-12

Skar Audio SK-1500.1

4 cu ft @32 (new box and more port soon)

Firing Forward not sealed off

Stock 80 Amp Alt

Big 3 In 1/0 Knu

2 Runs To The Back 1 Pos 1 Neg In 1/0 Knu

DD-1'd 13.8v drop

As far as the port forwarding part, http://www.portforward.com has the port list for just about everything you might need to forward.

Just pick your router make and model, and it takes you to the list of applications and specific instructions for your router.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"