Possible Solution for Mustang Dual Alt Setup

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, i've been told by every alternator company out there that a dual alt setup is impossible for my car, and I can't do a single bigger than a 270 (case size). I was thinking about this and may have a solution. The secondary alt would mount inline right in front of the primary alt via a simple bracket. A connecting shaft would attach to the main alts pulley, go through the back of the case of the secondary alt, and somehow attach internally to spin the alt. Im know engineer and I don't know exactly HOW to do all this, but it seems possible. I do forsee added belt slip, but maybe an idler pulley to increase belt wrap could help that.

Don't laugh at my crude sketch LOL.

MustangDualAlt.jpg

Hopefully the alt guys/companies will see this and give their opinions. And if DC Power wants to use my car as guinea pig, i'm all for it. (They are local to me).

Here are the inherent problems with what you are proposing-

1) You are limited in output on the stock alternator location by belt slip, not housing size. Anything more than 250 amps or so, and the belt just slips on the pulley. We ahve done idler pulleys before to increase belt wrap, but it still doesn't work that great. Coupling anther alternator to the same pulley will only double the amount of rotational resistance and mass on that single 6 groove pulley, the belt will squeel like a pig every time you cnage gears, and you won't get all the amperage potential due to the belt slip.

2) When you couple two independantly ballanced shafts that are spinning up to 20,000 RPM, you will have horrific harmonic vibrations that will wipe out bearings in short order.

3) The way the rotors are made, it would be virtually impossible to couple to the rear of the shaft where the slip rings are, there simpl is no material there, and you would sever the slip ring conections.

We do offer reverse rotation hairpin stator units that would allow you to flip the alternator around and maintain proper cooling, but I STRONGLY reccomend that you don't go this route.

A much better way to go would be to just switch to 14 volt D1400 batteries, adjustable external regulator, and allow that to make up for alternator deficinecy. Granted, eventually the voltage would fall below the 14 volt range on really long demos, but chances are your voicecoils would melt before that was an issue. Demo for on song, let the vehicle idle for 10 minutes or so, then hammer on it again. It works great for vehicles that simple do not have good alternator options.

Okay, with bith units facing the same direction, the only hurdle is how to attach the center shafts. Look at the pics I took of my stock alt. Somehow attach a rod from the pulley of unit A to the rear shaft of unit B.

Or am I missing something?

from my understanding of what your aiming for you would most likely need to have a center shaft custom made that had could stretch throught the first ALT and all the way into the 2nd ALT...and have your pulley in the middle of the shaft between both alts, spinning the center shaft and in turn running both ALTs llll---ll---llll-

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

Archived