DC Sound Lab

PORT AREA for (2) DC Level 4 18's /or/ (2) DC XL 18's

Can anyone reccomend a ballpark port area for 2 DC LVL4 18s AND/OR 2 DC XL 18s? I'm not sure if the area would vary too much between the two.

I was planning on tuning to 35hz.

But this is also a brief question... Would 35hz be a well rounded tune for most varieties of music?

I listen to roughly 40% rap/hip hop, 40% dubstep,edm/ other various electronic stuff, and 20% rock.

Thanks for any help!

__Andrew

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

Bump! Want to work on this now since i have access to a computer with autocad :pardon:

Also how do you work in a kerfed port? More or less, how does it affect the length and tuning of the port?

Although I won't be able to make a huge radius kerf I do want to give it a whirl on the exposed end of the port.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

Shared chamber box or dual chamber?

for dual chamber I would go somewhere in the 5.5-6ft^3 volume per sub like CJ said.

for shared chamber I would go somewhere around 8.25-9ft^3 volume after displacements.

For slot port box I would do between 12-16in^2 of port area per cube

For flared round ports, somewhere between 10-12in^2 per cube.

I like tuning in the mid 30s, but I know in my case, I usually set my LPF to 60hz because if I have it set to 80, box rise trails off and my amps start to pull a lot more current. I know with my lvl 5 18, 6ft^3 box, 5x 4" precision ports tuned to 37hz, I find it really lacks when listening to rock like rammstein. It dominates on most everything else you listed though.

Just something to think about, up to you to determine how much punchy bass in rock you want. If you want better response up top for rock, I would mess around and try tuning in the 40hz to mid 40s range and see how that sounds. It really does depend on your car too...my old 240 with the same box had more cabin gain at higher frequencies and helped out in the 60hz range, new car not so much...sounds a lot more peaky because the resonant frequency is lower.

• 2 weeks later...

for dual chamber I would go somewhere in the 5.5-6ft^3 volume per sub like CJ said.

for shared chamber I would go somewhere around 8.25-9ft^3 volume after displacements.

is that 8.25-9 cubicfeet PER SUB OR TOTAL? I'd be surprised if there was that much of a difference if the subs each have their own chamber.

btw my plan is for a shared chamber. my current mock up consists of a 4" x 36" port that is against one edge of the box. I want to kerf the 36" side that isn't against the edge with roughly a 3" radius i believe. I'll check the design and put up some pics tomorrow.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

is that 8.25-9 cubicfeet PER SUB OR TOTAL? I'd be surprised if there was that much of a difference if the subs each have their own chamber.

btw my plan is for a shared chamber. my current mock up consists of a 4" x 36" port that is against one edge of the box. I want to kerf the 36" side that isn't against the edge with roughly a 3" radius i believe. I'll check the design and put up some pics tomorrow.

8.25-9 cubic feet total after displacements for a shared chamber. Dual chambers actually do make a difference. Dual chambers will have more port gain. When I have a chance later I'll post a couple winisd graphs illustrating this.

Shared chamber works well if you want more cone area but are limited on space. I.E. you can only fit 2 15's in optimal boxes but would rather have 2 18s with less efficient boxes.

So from what you're saying If I have the room it would be best to make a dual chamber box to maximize efficiency?

I didn't know that that still could be that much of a difference concerning the overall volume.

I can easily fit a ~14 cu.ft. box. It will be going into a 05 grand cherokee.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D