• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not very good at controlling "moves" that require precision to not be fatal and non-fatal lol.

Its all musle memory. The only time I even used what I learned was when I confronted someone who was trying to rape a friend of mine. She was twisted on some weed and drink and he was taking her pants off. She couldnt even speak. The fight ended up in the front yard. He pulled a knife. The fight ended with his friend taking him to the hospital. No charges where filed. I did find out he lived though. The whole fight lasted 90 seconds max.

Maybe when I get into the martial art and get good enough my muscle memory will be good enough for that, hopefully. Exactly why I want to learn a martial art to protect my friends and family. I have my sister who's moving down to TN with us and I just want to be able to protect her and my family should something come up. Like if we go out to dinner as a family and something happens or what not. Or be able to protect one of my friends or girlfriend for that matter when I move down.

Skar Audio SDR 10" x2 (Sealed Box)

Skar Audio 1500.1D (1 Ohm) x1

Skar Audio TX525c (Front with dash tweeter) x1

Kenwood Excelon KFC-X173 (Rear Coax) x1

JL Audio 360.4 (Mids & Highs Amp) x1 

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

How long do you think it would take to learn Judo to be effective? I plan to do martial arts until I feel comfortable enough to quit. at least 1st Dan or 2nd Dan.

With a good teacher, 16 to 18 months to be proficent.

What belt are you in your art? Are you a dan by chance? Do you still practice and how many years? There is a place I'm interested in that teaches Hapkido but I can't find a good website for the place that teaches it. It has a website its just not very good and does not look like its been updated in a while.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Oddly, one of the reasons my wife married me was because I could protect her from her ex husband. He out weighs me by about 80 pounds and is about 2 inches taller. With common sense and restraint (taught by good teachers) it wont matter. You wont need kill shots, and you will know how to restrain yourself if you do. One of the moves is a follow through from a throw to crush the skull. If you slow them down with your knee, that wont happen.

One of the biggest things I learned is no one wins in a fight. Avoidance is key, so is eye contact in maintaing "ki". If the attacker thinks you know something he doesnt, he will flee, or his "fighting spirit" will be broken. I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true. I've gotten out of a lot of fights just by staring people down and saying "Yeah, sounds like fun, lets see how this works out".

How long do you think it would take to learn Judo to be effective? I plan to do martial arts until I feel comfortable enough to quit. at least 1st Dan or 2nd Dan.

What belt are you in your art? Are you a dan by chance? Do you still practice and how many years? There is a place I'm interested in that teaches Hapkido but I can't find a good website for the place that teaches it. It has a website its just not very good and does not look like its been updated in a while.

I was brown, one belt away from black. Though as my sensi would say, I still had a lot to learn. Most schools do not spend time on their websites. If you want to see a good school, go their and see how they treat students. Watch the sparring sessions. Our teacher did not believe in pads, most "true" schools do not. Keep in mind some do for insurance reasons. See how they treat their students. Is it fair, yet disiplined? Do they try to improve confidence, but not over confidence? My teacher taught at a few different schools and had me come in for a training session in a tae kwon do class. It was basic self defense, and only black belts where allowed to take it. I hadnt trained in probably 3 years at that point. I beat the black belt in under 60 seconds.

Hopkido at the very least teaches things you can use in the real world. Check out the school, report back.

My friends who are twins once told me that. They are 1st Dans in TKD and have skill in BJJ and Boxing/MMA. They told me that no one wins in a fight but that there are two that lose but I did not understand. I always thought that in a spar there is a winner but I guess in a real fight it can change from one person being ko'ed but the consequences can sometimes not be worth it. I.E, Enemies for life from other people, You never know when a group of people will come up to you when your alone or something or perhaps a knife or gun. I have heard of "KI" before is it like "Chi"? And I have seen personally that people will back down when they are scared or think that they are outclassed. IE, When me and my brother went to the movies some people were talking shit about some girls who would not follow them to their car and ended up following the girls to their car and my brother did not like what could happen, so we both went up (I have no real fighting experience at all besides being a white belt in both TKD and Karate when I was like 8) my brother talked to them in a strong but assuring voice to the girls and said everything would be all right. As soon as he said that the first punch was thrown at my brother. He just calmly dodge and got in to a boxing stance. Than asked them if they really want to do this and another punch was thrown and my brother dodged to the side and proceeded to knock out the aggressor out cold right across the jaw. After that they just ran away to their cars. The girls thanked us and we were on our way.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

I was brown, one belt away from black. Though as my sensi would say, I still had a lot to learn. Most schools do not spend time on their websites. If you want to see a good school, go their and see how they treat students. Watch the sparring sessions. Our teacher did not believe in pads, most "true" schools do not. Keep in mind some do for insurance reasons. See how they treat their students. Is it fair, yet disiplined? Do they try to improve confidence, but not over confidence? My teacher taught at a few different schools and had me come in for a training session in a tae kwon do class. It was basic self defense, and only black belts where allowed to take it. I hadnt trained in probably 3 years at that point. I beat the black belt in under 60 seconds.

Hopkido at the very least teaches things you can use in the real world. Check out the school, report back.

So should I look for a school that uses pads or no pads? I'm all about training but not breaking a bone in the process of training. I think that would be a set back.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

No one wins in a fight not because of a KO or agression. It takes a mental toll. I still to this day think about the sound it made when I broke that kids knee and elbow. At the same time you have to be decisive. It gets to a point where its you or them. My stepson is 16 and I've taught him maybe 10% of what I know. Why? Because I know him, I know that if I trained him the way I was trained he'd end up killing somoene. The punch to the face your brother threw? Hopkido it wouldnt have lasted that long.

Ki is kind of the same thing as Chi, Chi is chinese, where Ki is Japanese. If you're fighting someone good (and you will learn this when you train) if you blink, it breaks your Ki. You WILL loose. A lot of the stuff you see in MMA and in movies is wrong. Dont get it twisted though, MMA fighters are well trained, and if you fuck up just once, you'd better be ready to eat the mat. Its all part of learning yourself, and the art. Martial arts is much more than a class, it will change your life if you let it.

So should I look for a school that uses pads or no pads? I'm all about training but not breaking a bone in the process of training. I think that would be a set back.

That depends on you. If you want to learn to take a hit, and be in a real fight, go with no pads. If its for sport, go with pads. Most schools that do no pads will teach you restraint. My nose has been broken 14 times. I can tell you, it aint cause I'm clumsy :).

This is the closest to Hapkido I found in Tennessee. Hapkido <-- Link t looks like the website has not been undated for a long while now. So I don't know if its still active. I'm reluctant to call because I am not down in TN yet.

DEH80-PRS

XS Power d3400

Singer Alternator 275A

98 Jeep TJ 4.0 5 Speed

Archived