Tweeters Fading Out at High Volume

KScarboy

Lately, my tweeters have been hitting the protection circuit at high volume on most songs. This did not happen before with this setup, and nothing has changed that I'm aware of. I have had to turn the two highest bands on my equalizer all the way down, otherwise the tweeters are coming in way to loud. I'm thinking the problem has to lie in either my head unit, equalizer or amp. I don't think it's the crossovers, because the protection circuit is kicking in because of another problem. I'm thinking that is the equalizer malfunctioning somehow, but I am not 100% sure where the problem lies. I know there is the -3dB setting on my crossovers for my tweeters, but I have them to the -0dB setting which is where they have always been without a problem until now. I just want to find out where exactly my problem is. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

-1999 Mercury Grand Marquis

-Skar 1500.1d

-Two Skar VVX 12's

-Two Skar VXI65 component sets

-MB Quart 125.4

-Clarion EQS746

-Stinger zero gauge power wire

-Big three

-Kinetic HC600 in trunk

over powering speakers can cause them to put stuff into protect , or having too small gauge cable

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Bummer, what Brand of speakers? What HU are you running? what type of EQ? And amp?

I thought all that was in my sig? Anyways, I have an Alpine CDE-102, a clarion EQS 746, two Skar audio VXI component sets that are being powered by a MB Quart 125.4. My bass steup is two VVX 12's and an SK1500.1d. I'm leaning towards it being the equalizer, because the problem just randomly popped up after the setup has been working perfectly for a few months prior.

-Skar 1500.1d

-Two Skar VVX 12's

-MB Quart 125.4

-Clarion EQS746

-Big three

-Kinetic HC600 in trunk

over powering speakers can cause them to put stuff into protect , or having too small gauge cable

The speakers are rated for 120 watts rms per crossover, and I'm using knuconceptz 16 gauge for the wiring going from the amp to the crossovers, and the wire that came with the component sets for going from the crossovers to the 6.5's and the tweeters. I'm assuming that none of that raises a red flag, but please correct me if I'm wrong or let me know what you think the problem might be. I'm trying to get as much input as I can on this before I replace something that isn't causing the problem.

-Skar 1500.1d

-Two Skar VVX 12's

-MB Quart 125.4

-Clarion EQS746

-Big three

-Kinetic HC600 in trunk

The speakers are rated for 120 watts rms per crossover, and I'm using knuconceptz 16 gauge for the wiring going from the amp to the crossovers, and the wire that came with the component sets for going from the crossovers to the 6.5's and the tweeters. I'm assuming that none of that raises a red flag, but please correct me if I'm wrong or let me know what you think the problem might be. I'm trying to get as much input as I can on this before I replace something that isn't causing the problem.

Ok, the speaker set handles 120watts rms, not each speaker in the set. So 1 tweeter and 1 mid is 120rms.

As RCP said, there is a protection circuit in the crossovers, when this circuit gets feed too much power, it heats up and kills power to your tweeter, saving you from having blown tweeters.

There could be many reasons why they are cutting out.

Your gain could be way too high, which will cause clipping.

You could be one of those treble happy kids that turns the deck treble up to plus 99 on the headunit, which could be pushing the speakers into clipping.

Just because you are using the factory crossovers for the components, you could still have other amp settings out of wack, which is hindering the sound.

Tweeter protection is easy to disable, but not a smart idea if they are already cutting off, and you are unsure why. Unless you want blown tweeters.

I set all the gains with an oscilloscope, I forgot to mention that. I know they are correct. I turned off the built in equalizer in the head unit, and I also have the bass boost and crossovers on my amp are at their lowest setting. So the only thing doing any equalization is the equalizer. I suppose I could try setting my gains with a -5dB tone instead of a -10, but even if that fixed it, there wouldn't be any explanation for why this problem occurred after a few months, vs. right away.

-Skar 1500.1d

-Two Skar VVX 12's

-MB Quart 125.4

-Clarion EQS746

-Big three

-Kinetic HC600 in trunk

• 3 weeks later...

Your amplifier does not have enough dyanamics / headroom to power your tweeters correctly ... plain and simple

And not enough battery power ...

My suggestion would be to add another battery near the amps and run separate 2 channel amps to your mids and highs ...

gain your amps for dynamics instead of max power and volume and this should fix your problem ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived