Misc. Sealed off trunk - '01Stratus *Gutted*

• 2 weeks later...

I figured I would update this with the info I have regarding the sub.

SQ did deem it blown due to clipping. They didn't warranty so that sucked, but I'm not going to bitch over a $60 recone, and $40 shipping for the RMA but whatever.

They told me over the phone that 1/4" up around the bottom of the coil was black and that it was starting to come undone, which was causing that damned noise. As you can see in the picture below it isn't THAT bad.

I do take blame for it though. When I tuned my amp the first time I kept the car off and the amp was seeing 12.6v while tuning. Re tuned it while car running @ 14.1v. Going full out on the ole SDC AQs voltage drop was much less (even with mechman) and I couldn't get them to even start smelling, unless I played songs that I knew were clipped to shit. Hard to believe that 1.5v could make all the difference. Live and learn.

Here's the coil.

unnamed_zpsc5fzfso5.jpg

and for what it's worth, I'm not the only ones hds300 coil to go to shit with very mild abuse.

I figured I'd meter the ole subs. Gained .8db since they were last in. So maybe bracing and the alternator helped. (db drag style)

aqsubssealedup_zps76312570.jpg

I also got around to finishing off the port plug. added the 2.25" on the back lower half of it so it wouldn't be against the back of the box. Also got carpet on the front to make it look nice.r

20140429_163819_zpsyjyy0prk.jpg

All the updates for now until I get the hds300 back which should be somewhat soon.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I still can't believe all the abuse that coil took. I mean look at it. It's so black the room got darker when I saw the picture :P

2010 Honda Civic LX / Deck: Kenwood DDX371 / Front Highs: Crescendo RTS-1 / Front Mids: Silver Flute 6.5's / 4 channel: DC Audio 90.4 / Sub: Fi 15in SP4v2 / Sub amp: Taramps HD 5000 / Power wire: Knukonceptz OFC 1/0 / Deadener: Audio Technix 60 mil / Batteries: XS Power D5100R / Rear bank: TBD / Alternator: Singer 240a hairpin

Sucks they won't warranty it

750??! Yeah, fuck that. Fuck this website, fuck SMD, fuck Steve, fuck all of his butt buddy mods, and their couches.

^ DON'T BE A DICK LIKE THIS GUY :)

Team Subsonic Lows

I have put pretty good power to my HDC 12s and have never ever smelled coil burn.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

hi grant can you give this to your sub? thanks

LOL. I was hoping to get it in today so I could throw it in for the comp tomorrow...

That's fucked up, the only reason I got the hdc3 over the hds was because of my noobish clipping ways

This is the hds. So you'll be good on the HDC. They are much more solid.

I have put pretty good power to my HDC 12s and have never ever smelled coil burn.

yeah hdc's are beast. that was a hds.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

OH DUH!!! I do read the post lol

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Archived