We up here in the Seattle area let the sonics go to Oklahoma, now there's a big push to buy the kings and move them to Seattle and bring back the sonics. I really don't get this. I'm sure in a few years someone in Sacramento will find a team to buy or start an expansion team and bring back the kings. I really don't understand why the investors in Seattle didn't try to buy the sonics from the owner that sold them to Bennett? We are still paying for key arena (and the kingdome that's long gone) and now they want to build a new facility and bring the sonics back. Why did they let them go in the first place? Nobody fought to keep them here? I guess I just really don't understand what is to be gained buy letting these teams be sold and moved and then a few years later, buy another team from another city and move them back?

Anyone explain whats the advantage to this? If they didn't sell seats when they were here before, what's changed that will make them magically sell seats when they bring them back?

Now the people of Sacramento will get to go through this very same situation when the kings are moved.

While I don't think there's any ideal answer, just look at the markets. Seattle is a pretty big city. Nothing compared to LA or NYC or whatnot but it's not a city with like 1,000 people obviously. They weren't selling games (in my opinion and JUST my opinion) because they sucked. They had good years, no doubt. But the last few years they were there? Horrible. Even Durant's first season wasn't that great. Then they moved to OKC and... well, we know how that turned out so far. So Seattle being a big city, having other sports there, why not have basketball? If they can get new ownership, good coaches, etc, the Kings... if moved to Seattle... could become the next Thunder. Would it take a few years? Without a doubt. Is it likely that they'd become as good as the Thunder? Who knows. There's TONS of variables.

Now as far as why didn't investors try to buy the franchise from the original owner rather than letting him sell to the owner now? Probably was no interest. It's one of those things, like how Michael Johnson (I think it's him at least, I forget now) owns part of the Dodgers. Why did he wait that long? Probably had no interest until it just popped in his head that he could and seems like good idea.

They let teams be sold and moved because of money. Money money money. Does it cost the city? Without a doubt. Does it cost the NBA? A little but yeah. But more games are played, more revenue from tickets, merchandise, tv contracts, so on and so forth. If the Kings do move to Seattle, it may be a disaster. Arena gets built and never gets 1/2 full and the team continues to suck practically every year. But the perfect thought of what any team that moves is for them to be... the Thunder. No one thought that would happen.

Sheena = pedobear

While I don't think there's any ideal answer, just look at the markets. Seattle is a pretty big city. Nothing compared to LA or NYC or whatnot but it's not a city with like 1,000 people obviously. They weren't selling games (in my opinion and JUST my opinion) because they sucked. They had good years, no doubt. But the last few years they were there? Horrible. Even Durant's first season wasn't that great. Then they moved to OKC and... well, we know how that turned out so far. So Seattle being a big city, having other sports there, why not have basketball? If they can get new ownership, good coaches, etc, the Kings... if moved to Seattle... could become the next Thunder. Would it take a few years? Without a doubt. Is it likely that they'd become as good as the Thunder? Who knows. There's TONS of variables.

Now as far as why didn't investors try to buy the franchise from the original owner rather than letting him sell to the owner now? Probably was no interest. It's one of those things, like how Michael Johnson (I think it's him at least, I forget now) owns part of the Dodgers. Why did he wait that long? Probably had no interest until it just popped in his head that he could and seems like good idea.

They let teams be sold and moved because of money. Money money money. Does it cost the city? Without a doubt. Does it cost the NBA? A little but yeah. But more games are played, more revenue from tickets, merchandise, tv contracts, so on and so forth. If the Kings do move to Seattle, it may be a disaster. Arena gets built and never gets 1/2 full and the team continues to suck practically every year. But the perfect thought of what any team that moves is for them to be... the Thunder. No one thought that would happen.

All good points and thanks for the insight. I feel bad for the folks of Sac town but I really hope it turns out for the better. I never went to a sonics game when they were here before and I'm not sure i ever will, not a big basket ball fan. Never been to century link either but I like football. M's is the only team I've gone to Safeco several times to see.

Archived