Truth about RCA cables. Coax vs Twisted Pair

Ok, I am a little confused by this. Are we only looking at the input side? If the input side on any given unit is Differential, do we want Twisted Pair regardless of what the output of the component feeding the input?

Here is my flow chart....

Headunit Balanced Output (speaker level twised pair wire) -> Processor 1 Differential Balanced Input = Processor Unbalanced outputs ->RCA CABLE-> Processor 2 w/ selectable Differential Balanced or unbalanced inputs = unbalanced outputs ->RCA CABLE-> Amplifier Differential Inputs

That being said, I *think* That I want to use RCA's as follows?

Processor 1 -> Twisted Pair RCA -> Processor 2 with Jumper set to differential balanced input->Twisted Pair RCA -> Amplifier Differential Inputs.

Is this right? or do I want

P1 -> Coax RCA -> P2 set to unbalanced input -> Coax RCA -> Amplifier Differential Input

I may be over thinking this. I just don't get the balanced/unbalanced output part of the equation.

Please help! lol

>Ok, I am a little confused by this. Are we only looking at the input side? If the input side on any given unit is Differential, do we want Twisted Pair regardless of what the output of the component feeding the input?

Headunit Balanced Output (speaker level twised pair wire) -> Processor 1 Differential Balanced Input = Processor Unbalanced outputs ->RCA CABLE-> Processor 2 w/ selectable Differential Balanced or unbalanced inputs = unbalanced outputs ->RCA CABLE-> Amplifier Differential Inputs

Processor 1 -> Twisted Pair RCA -> Processor 2 with Jumper set to differential balanced input->Twisted Pair RCA -> Amplifier Differential Inputs.

P1 -> Coax RCA -> P2 set to unbalanced input -> Coax RCA -> Amplifier Differential Input

I may be over thinking this. I just don't get the balanced/unbalanced output part of the equation.

Please hel

p! lol

If all your processors and amplifier have balanced inputs then use twisted pair everywhere.

Cool thanks.. So the inputs are what matters, and not the ouputs. Also, your RCA's look awesome, had a couple questions though. The RCA ends look pretty long in the picture which can making installation more difficult sometimes. How long do these measure? Also, what gauge wire is being used? A lot of the mass produced RCA cables use a pretty small guage wire in their twisted pair cables, which I am not sure how important the wire gauge is in a 2-12v signal?

18 AWG each wire in the twisted pair. The coax is 2 x 22AWG center conductors, per channel. RCA shell is 1.1 inches, plus a rubber boot on the end is 0.5 inches. It can be removed if needed, it is only cosmetic.

Ok, I am a little confused by this. Are we only looking at the input side? If the input side on any given unit is Differential, do we want Twisted Pair regardless of what the output of the component feeding the input?

Please help! lol

>Ok, I am a little confused by this. Are we only looking at the input side? If the input side on any given unit is Differential, do we want Twisted Pair regardless of what the output of the component feeding the input?

Please hel

p! lol

If all your processors and amplifier have balanced inputs then use twisted pair everywhere.

Cool thanks.. So the inputs are what matters, and not the ouputs. Also, your RCA's look awesome, had a couple questions though. The RCA ends look pretty long in the picture which can making installation more difficult sometimes. How long do these measure? Also, what gauge wire is being used? A lot of the mass produced RCA cables use a pretty small guage wire in their twisted pair cables, which I am not sure how important the wire gauge is in a 2-12v signal?

18 AWG each wire in the twisted pair. The coax is 2 x 22AWG center conductors, per channel. RCA shell is 1.1 inches, plus a rubber boot on the end is 0.5 inches. It can be removed if needed, it is only cosmetic.

Thanks Tony! I'm sure I will be as happy with these as I am with your DD-1 I own. I'm currently re-doing the system in this vehicle, so once I get it all figured out I'm going to give your new cables a try

-= J-dUb =-

....no 12 step program can cure my car audio addiction...

• 3 weeks later...

The only thing that remains is how are stereo head units set to handle these different cable types, are they geared to work with one or the other or do they somehow work with both

also how do you handle using the preamp out on one amp or an equalizer going to another amp with a different rca type

great information but now I feel more confused lol

Edited by Nathan Daniel Galen

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I have a Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD for a head unit and some audioque amps. I'm pretty sure I should run single ended(coaxial) rca's. I have some twisted kicker rca's now. Does running the wrong rca have any effect on distortion?

Most aftermarket equipment is single-ended, check your manuals. Balanced outputs/inputs are a unique feature, if your equipment supports it then it will tell you.

If you don't have any noise to deal with then twisted pair will work fine in a single-ended system. You just won't get the full noise reducing capability of the cable.

Your question about RCA type and distortion is a loaded question.

Its more then just type. A poor quality cable can also greatly affect your signal as well.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

• 1 month later...

In my oldsmobile I had a problem with sometimes (about 10% of the time I'd say) noise getting to the speaker from the engine and I think it probably was this because I had a really old quality kenwood for the back speakers and a cheap kenwood for front and I got this nice hiss when I hit the gas

With my current setup I think the differential style is correct for both amps ( newer kenwoods) as I've heard no distortion to speakers and they are loud enough that I would

On another note, not all of the industry has forgotten about this, Jl audio has it in some of their amp manuals like this, but don't really go on to explain it much at all

https://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/136/136XD6006.PDF

Edited by Nathan Daniel Galen