Question about installing Audio Control EQS equalizer

I have a Kenwood DNX-6980 head unit, and XR-5s amp. I will be adding an Audio control EQS equalizer to the system. Audio controls owners manual for this EQ says to turn the head unit volume up 3/4 of the way and play music to set the EQ input level. I am thinking since I have already tested my head unit with a DD-1 and know I can use full volume with no distortion detected by the DD-1, that I should use full volume, and play pink noise instead of music. The next thing I want to run by everyone just to be sure my thinking is correct, is. Audio Control says to turn the amps gain control all the way down and set the EQS output to the Kenwood amps input spec. I think I should set the amps gain control down, hook the EQS up to the amp play pink noise through the system, and turn the EQS output up until the DD-1 detects distortion at the speaker terminals and then back it off until the LED goes off. Any thoughts are welcome, Thanks.

You got it got it right? HU to EQ gains, EQ to Amp gains setting. should sound pretty nice. I Run an LC7 linedriver and i think Audio Control make pretty good stuff. Its not cheap stuff and my LC7 runs clean. Tuned with DD-1 also. Keep us posted.

It will be a couple weeks but I will post when I get it tuned in. I bought a used Audio Control RTA on ebay and sent it in, had it checked out to be sure it was calibrated. I found out I have a huge dip at 63hz and a really ragged looking frequency reponse as a whole. Thats why I decided to get the EQS. I don't know what to do about the dip at 63 hz it's like -16db. I don't want to boost it more than about 3 or 4 db. The rest I wil be able to eq out by dropping the peaks down.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the EQS installed yesterday, I thought my system sounded pretty good before, this took it to a whole different level, the sound is more open, the system plays a lot louder, I'm still tweaking it but the bass and miss really improved, I still need to tweak the high end a little, and I think I need to play with the cross overs. Sometimes bass drums sound like they are coming out of a cardboard box. I think I need to cross over higher. I was at 60 hz I went up to 100hz and it sounded better. I really don't want to go to much higher because I read somewhere it will start messing with the stereo separation, but I will see what I can do.

Archived