Can I effectively use the DD-1 without a CD player?

Hope this isn't a duplicate thread. I'm considering a DD-1 purchase, but don't currently have a CD player in my car. I have an Alpine iDA-X305S head unit, which is just a media player. If planning to get a DD-1, should I also plan to replace my head unit so I can properly use the discs that come with it?

The DD-1 only needs to recognize 40Hz and 1kHz test tones so anything that can source that is fine.

It helps to know the output level of the track as well (0dB, -15dB, etc).

I ripped my DD-1 disc to iTunes and then loaded it onto my iPhone which I use to hold most of my music.

USB stick would work fine as well.

Based on what I learned on mine, my recommendation if you're going to go that route is also measure the rms voltage from your HU with a DMM.

I have a nice Kenwood eXcelon HU and it has varying max voltages on the RCA pre-outs depending on what source I use.

Ex: Using CD's, I get the full rated 5Vrms from the RCA's.

Using my phone through Bluetooth, I only get 1.5Vrms from the RCA's.

AUX input from my phone's headphone jack only gives 500mVrms.

Make's it very difficult to set the gains on the amp when you have a varying signal from the HU.

You wouldn't want to set the gains based on a reduced signal level and then use a different source which outputs a much larger signal.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

The DD-1 only needs to recognize 40Hz and 1kHz test tones so anything that can source that is fine.

I ripped my DD-1 disc to iTunes and then loaded it onto my iPhone which I use to hold most of my music.

Based on what I learned on mine, my recommendation if you're going to go that route is also measure the rms voltage from your HU with a DMM.

I have a nice Kenwood eXcelon HU and it has varying max voltages on the RCA pre-outs depending on what source I use.

Make's it very difficult to set the gains on the amp when you have a varying signal from the HU.

You wouldn't want to set the gains based on a reduced signal level and then use a different source which outputs a much larger signal.

You make a great point. I completely forgot about ripping to itunes.

That said, how did you resolve your varying signal level issue? I'm in the same boat, although I haven't measured it. My bluetooth audio is noticeably weaker than ipod audio. I'm assuming the best course of action would be to set gains based on the strongest signal, and accept a slightly weaker output when using bluetooth or aux. I was considering switching to a new Kenwood unit...preferably one that is compatible with the lightning connector for the newer ipods and iphones. Thanks for the reply!

You make a great point. I completely forgot about ripping to itunes.

That said, how did you resolve your varying signal level issue? I'm in the same boat, although I haven't measured it. My bluetooth audio is noticeably weaker than ipod audio. I'm assuming the best course of action would be to set gains based on the strongest signal, and accept a slightly weaker output when using bluetooth or aux. I was considering switching to a new Kenwood unit...preferably one that is compatible with the lightning connector for the newer ipods and iphones. Thanks for the reply!

Glad to help!

Actually I haven't resolved it yet. The Kenwood had internal RCA-fuse issues so I had to send it in for repair. I requested that the RCA voltage also be looked at, but sure enough I don't think it was even looked it. All I got back was the HU and a small card taped to it with my initial complaint notes.

The card had a couple of written scribbles on it, but nothing as far as verifying total operation of the HU.

Now I'm currently in discussions with Kenwood Technical Service who is just giving me the run-around and not answering my direct questions about the different output voltages.

Needless to say, I'm not impressed with Kenwood customer service at all.....

I had to go Bluetooth for a while because my iPhone 30-pin header had some really nasty static noise when it was hard-wired to the HU through the special Kenwood cable.

I verified with my girlfriends iPhone which is exactly the same and it was fine.

Therefore I was stuck paying ~$150 for a replacement phone or trying Bluetooth.

I could get an adapter and upgrade to an iPhone5 which is really tempting but I've researched that you can get video through that adapter.

Not a huge deal but I wanted the ability to play videos and such from my iPhone to my double-DIN Kenwood.

Looks like I may have to give that up in the near future.

I doubt that this is anything specific about my certain HU and I'd be willing to bet that LOTS of HU's out there have varying output voltages.

It's probably not that noticeable to the average Joe so I'm sure these aftermarket company's don't worry about it.

Yeah about all you can do is set your gains for the largest signal and accept the weaker output on the other sources.

Or set your gains for the source you use most and only use that (or at least be very careful with the other sources).

...Or I'm contemplating dumping the HU all together and trying an iPad Mini with a Fosgate 360.3 which has Bluetooth and hopefully a more consistent output.

I don't use discs all that often but it would suck to not have that capability.

I would like to spread the word about this around the forum and have more people measure their setups.

I'm curious how widespread this is?

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png