Second Skin Audio

Port Area per Foot

Krakin

Would like someone to please explain this in further detail. Tried searching for a while and never found a good explanation.

This is what I have came out with for 2 SA-10's.

374545_570474969629374_1836728393_n.jpg

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

The only thing I see that may throw your measurements off is the value you have input for port thickness. It appears that you are using a round port, so that value should be significantly less that .75 unless you are making those tubes out of wood/mdf rather than pvc or some other plastic.

The only thing I see that may throw your measurements off is the value you have input for port thickness. It appears that you are using a round port, so that value should be significantly less that .75 unless you are making those tubes out of wood/mdf rather than pvc or some other plastic.

Never even noticed that before.. But yeah that could very well be taking up a lot of unnecessary space. Thanks

Edit: messed around with it and didn't change any of the calculations

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

yea I've never seen where changing the port thickness on an aero port in Torres makes any difference at all

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Make the box to have an internal volume of 3 cuft gross, use 2 four inch diameter port 18'' long each.

This will yield a box that is 2.5 cuft net, tuned to 35hz.

It's not the exact dimensions I'll probably use because it's supposed to go behind the seats in a '03 Sierra single cab.

484953_570483512961853_1925667135_n.jpg

A Single 6" will work as well.

a single 6 is a little bigger than 2 4s which I'm pretty sure will raise the tune of the box which means he will need a longer port or a bigger box to get the same frequency and port area per foot. if he wants it set the same that is.

edit - that being said I would still agree that imo a single 6 would still probably be more optimal just cuz fewer ports is usually thought as better from what I've read. just saying that just simply using a 6" instead of 2 4" won't work out the same unless he also makes changes to the box itself

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Okay with all those different designs I still come out with 34-35hz tuning, but my main question is the port area per foot. Because that is the only

*2 cubes

(2) 3" x 12" = 6.77 sq in

*2.5 cubes

(2) 4" x 18" = 10.20 sq in

(1) 6" x 21" = 11.10 sq in.

A Single 6" will work as well.

a single 6 is a little bigger than 2 4s which I'm pretty sure will raise the tune of the box which means he will need a longer port or a bigger box to get the same frequency and port area per foot. if he wants it set the same that is.

Made the box 2" longer

Archived