Mechman Alternators

My new Mechman Alt installed!

Since this new alternator, i've had a squeal in my speakers, what could i do to remedy this?

A squeal? Or a whine?

Never heard of a squeal before.

Not on the positive post, that's for sure.

Use a bolt on the casing.

okay, well since there are no posts made for it on the casing, i doubt i will be able to fit any 0 gauge on there. what size wire should i aim for a ground?

same size as the power wire. 1/0. always 1/0.

how? theres not just a big bolt or post on the alternator to put 1/0 on...please explain...

Since this new alternator, i've had a squeal in my speakers, what could i do to remedy this?

A squeal? Or a whine?

Never heard of a squeal before.

a whine would be more accurate.

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Hey man, You can ground one of the bolts on the alt case to the - batt terminal. As in one of the bolts holding the alt to the engine block.

I have strong grounds to my block in 1/0 OFC.

Also, for it not fitting the bolt... you can size up to a 2/0 terminal and get a larger inner diameter to fit the bolt. My local shop that sponsors my vehicle always puts 2/0 lugs on my Sky high wire as the 1/0 are too tight a fit.

00689.jpg

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Hey man, You can ground one of the bolts on the alt case to the - batt terminal. As in one of the bolts holding the alt to the engine block.

Also, for it not fitting the bolt... you can size up to a 2/0 terminal and get a larger inner diameter to fit the bolt. My local shop that sponsors my vehicle always puts 2/0 lugs on my Sky high wire as the 1/0 are too tight a fit.

00689.jpg

ohhh, didn't even think of that, thanks for the help! i probably will have to get some ring terminals with bigger inner diameter, there is only one audio shop within probably 60 miles of me, and they don't carry anything bigger than 4 gauge. i have a few different terminals here, hopefully one will fit.

i'm going to be doing 2x runs of 1/0 for everything else, should i do 2x runs from the alt to the battery too?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

00689.jpg

ohhh, didn't even think of that, thanks for the help! i probably will have to get some ring terminals with bigger inner diameter, there is only one audio shop within probably 60 miles of me, and they don't carry anything bigger than 4 gauge. i have a few different terminals here, hopefully one will fit.

i'm going to be doing 2x runs of 1/0 for everything else, should i do 2x runs from the alt to the battery too?

CCA or OFC wire?

Also order online. Much cheaper and save your gas money!

What size is your Alternator?

I run a 320A and since the wire is rated for 300 amps I was forced to do a second run. The last thing you want to do is melt your wire or melt the stud off the back of your alt.

If your running a 270 amp or smaller alt I say your fine with one good quality run of 1/0 OFC :good:

Edited by Carbon
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Not on the positive post, that's for sure.

Use a bolt on the casing.

okay, well since there are no posts made for it on the casing, i doubt i will be able to fit any 0 gauge on there. what size wire should i aim for a ground?

Use one of the bolts that mount your alt to your vehicle, pick one where you have the most surface contact with the alt by the ring terminal and use that.

00689.jpg

CCA or OFC wire?

Also order online. Much cheaper and save your gas money!

What size is your Alternator?

I run a 320A and since the wire is rated for 300 amps I was forced to do a second run. The last thing you want to do is melt your wire or melt the stud off the back of your alt.

If your running a 270 amp or smaller alt I say your fine with one good quality run of 1/0 OFC :good:

i order online for everything, the local audio store does ridiculous mark-ups, they sell the pac-lc1 for $40.

All of my wire is OFC. The alt is 240 AMP universal.

Thanks for the all of the help! i really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

Belt has started squeeling until i have the car in 2nd or 3rd gear and the voltage stays in the 12's until i get to that point. Belt doesn't seem too tight or too loose. any suggestions?

Can you manually increase your idle? If your car is PCM controlled you can have a shop tune it for you. If it was a carb'd car you could do it yourself.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Can you manually increase your idle? If your car is PCM controlled you can have a shop tune it for you. If it was a carb'd car you could do it yourself.

I can, I turned it down and this problem started happening a few weeks after. I will turn it back up to see if it solves the problem.